The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Greatest American

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 05:30 PM
HCF Member
Default Greatest American

If any1 has seen that Discovery Channel special, Greatest Americans or whatever (i stopped watching after Bush got past 100). Who do you think is the greatest American? I nominate Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. I believe that no1 has changed America, in a positive way, more.

Old 08-02-2005, 05:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Greatest American

Please enlighten me as to why (Honorary Doctor) Martin Luther King was so great? Civil Rights? You know that Civil Rights applies to everyone and not just minorities, right?

And noone has changed America more than Abraham Lincoln.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Administrator

martin luther king has done great things for minorities...he has done nothing for me, and lets be honest, "what can you do for me" is the official question of americans. this has been heavily debated on another site. no one "great american" can claim to have done anymore than any other "great american". by modern standards, people would have hated lincoln because he started a war.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:33 PM

I am the greatest american, why I have a civic

Old 08-02-2005, 06:50 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Street Sniper

And noone has changed America more than Abraham Lincoln.
agreed. not only has he changed america, he saved it.

if abraham lincoln wasnt president, there would be constant civil war between the states. it was because he acted as quickly as he could that the US is again one nation. if there wasnt an MLK Jr., someone else would have risen in his place. he was just a propaganda posterboy for minorities who gave encouraging speeches. thats all.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:58 PM
HCF Member

Hunter S. Thompson ---if u havent seen the autobiography --oh well[][sm=icon_rofl.gif]

Old 08-02-2005, 07:29 PM
HCF Member

Do you honestly think that the South would have been able to fight the North for an extended period of time? The South could not sustain a war against the North. Lincold was that great of a general or war planner, he was an great president but he did what he was required to by his job description. What makes King a great person is that he was not a president, he was an oridnary citizen. Presidents are expect to save the nation, ordinary citizens are not. How did Lincold change American other than ending the Civil war which would have ended either way b/c the South could not have fought the North for an extended period b/c they where not well funded and their government started to fall apart b/c Jefforson Davis was a pretty bad leader.

Old 08-02-2005, 07:43 PM
HCF Member

Why do I get the feeling that you have a biased opinion?

Old 08-02-2005, 07:55 PM
HCF Member

they had high morale and they didnt need money...they were fighting for their rights and land. and davis was practically forced into the position, if the confederates succeeded there would have been a real election and they would have gotten a real president

Old 08-02-2005, 09:14 PM

Aaaaand I think it's time for us to get back on topic, at this point. It's getting a little hostile here.

Great Americans? Jessica Alba, for being hot. Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla, for hosting the best show ever. Maddox, for creating the best page in the universe.

Quick Reply: Greatest American