The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Future

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 08:57 PM
HCF Member
Default Future

So I've been in a very thinking mood lately about my future and really would like some insigh to more experienced and older members of this forum. Let me begin:
I'm currently 18 years of age and attend a community college from a academic scholarship as well as just being accepted into a leader ship program for the college for the upcoming year. My current major is allied healh and science and I am pursuing a career into nursing. So far, my likings toward the career have lessened and I am realling looking forward to joining the Airforce. I have always wanted to join the airforce as a chile for some unknown reason and have many odds and ends that just add to that effect. For example I've always wanted a tatoo of some sort of wings on my back. Anyway, I don't want to join the airforce until I receive a bacherlors degree ins ome field. This is where the stree begins to settle in. Since I am currently not happy with my major I want to begin looking into a different field. I'm really into technical stuff like computers ( I work at a cardiologist office switching into a Electronic Medical Database for a private practice, for my age I think it's awesome) but yet I really love psychology after taking 101 my last semester of college. I want my bachelors degree because of the Officer Program in the Airforce.

To keep everything simple:
Does anyone have any experience with the current decisions I am making for my future? Any insight to th Airforce and the qualifications that are required to get in with bachelors degree? And would my choices of a major be appropriate into joining the Airforce for a job/career?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Future

good choice with the air force btw, i wisj i went that route rather than army. i have a cousin and uncle that have been in for a while and it is the way to go. also yes its a good idea to have a degree before you join(you will rank up faster) also look into rotc while you are still going to school that way you can pretty much skip your cadet training. as for your major i cant help you there. good luck bro

Old 04-11-2007, 09:35 PM
HCF Member

I think I'm too old to join the Air Force ROTC? I don't mind the weeks of training prior to technical training but thanks for the input!

Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

umm no... your not too old they have rotc in college. check into it. it will save you alot of time and hassle of being a "cadet". but hey its your life

Old 04-11-2007, 09:39 PM
HCF Member

Oh. I didn't know that. I'm all new to this. Well I just looked into the Airforce ROTC but I'm not looking into transfering schools at the moment. I want to finish up at the college I'm attending and finish my bacherlors at a 4 year university then join the Airforce.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

its cool. you will have i believe 4 years of rotc and you will come into the airforce as a first liutenant i believe but u will hit captain in no time with your degree. your alternative is about 2 years of being the airforces bitch and then u get the rank, lol. id take the 4 years if this is something you really want to do.

Old 04-11-2007, 09:47 PM
HCF Member

Haha thanks for the insight. Hows training by the way. And in regard to friends and family how would that go? I know I will be entitled to to missions abroad and around the country but are they're times where I settle down considering I will be an officer with a degree?

Old 04-11-2007, 09:59 PM
HCF Member

Haha thanks for the insight. Hows training by the way. And in regard to friends and family how would that go? I know I will be entitled to to missions abroad and around the country but are they're times where I settle down considering I will be an officer with a degree?
training as in basic? it sux *** but airforce isnt as bad as what we had, shorter too i believe. if your concerned about family and all id do the air active guard that way u still live at home but you work on a base like a normal 9-5 and u still go home at night. if you go active they will send you wherever they feel and you have no choice but to go. so you might not see your loved ones much.