The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

First bike. Those with knowledge, please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2005, 01:28 AM
HCF Member
Default First bike. Those with knowledge, please help.

Well, with these gas prices continuing to skyrocket here in So Cal, I've decided to scrap the engine swap idea for a more efficient vehicle. So I've decided to get a bike, and keep the Civic of course. I have my permit right now and next paycheck I'm going to take the class and get the full license. Then I can start looking for a bike. I'm a completely fresh rider with only a 50cc yamaha scooter as my experience. Thus far, I'm undecided whether I want a street bike or a cruiser. Thoughts on the ups and downs of each would be appreciated I do know that I don't want an engine larger than a 750. People I've talked to about riding say a 250 is way to weak a bike to start out with as the DMV suggests. A mid-size engine to grow into is what most recommended.

I'm pretty sure I've come across some of you that have bikes, or have had them in the past. Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:34 AM
Default RE: First bike. Those with knowledge, please help.

Being that I work at a motorcycle dealership, I would suggest several things:

1. For your very first bike, get one used and a little beat up (just like your first car). Not totaly hammered, just with a couple of scratches and a couple thousand miles on the bike. I suggest this whether you go street or cruiser.

2. If you were to go street, I would suggest the Honda CBR600 series.(600F4i and 600RR) The main difference between the RR and the F4i, is that the F4i sits a bit more up right rather than being crouched over so much. Yamaha is good also, but I find it to be more of a "street legal track bike" if you will. Too powerful and aggressive for the first time rider on a small cc engine. Honda 600's also only need maintenace every 4,000 miles.

3. If you got cruiser, I would suggest the Yamaha V-star 650 series. (V-star Classic, V-star Custom, V-star Silverado) They are small, yet not under powered for a single rider. It will be underpowered however, if you carry a passenger on long trips. You will regret it. At this point I would suggest going with a V-star 1100 if you plan on long trips with passengers. The Yamaha cruisers are reliable and services are need only every 4000 miles.

4. What type of riding are you going to be doing? Examples: Commuting, Cruising, Touring(longer trips), Stunting, Or just plain old for the love of it! This will help decide what type of bike you are going to get.

Those are all factors to consider when looking at and deciding what kind of bike to get. I work at Santa Clarita Motorsports (661)-259-8460. It's a couple of miles from Magic Mountain. I know it's a little far, but hey, you never know! Give us a call tommorrow and ask for Josh. We could talk some numbers if you want or just chit chat about whats good for you.

Good luck on whatever you decide to get, and have fun with it!

Old 08-07-2005, 05:47 AM

Whatever you decide to get, make sure it's the largest engine you can afford. Being a rider myself, I know bikers usually want more power. (just like civics and engine swaps)

Old 08-07-2005, 09:54 AM
Administrator

are you a big guy? a friend of mine has been riding longer than he has been driving, and he only rides 600s, and with his new 600RR, and all of the mods available, he goes to show that you dont need a ton of CCs to have a fast bike..his is in the low 10s...and ive seen stock newer F4i's running low 11s...

Old 08-07-2005, 10:05 AM
HCF Member

im not a rider yet, but i plan on getting a bike eventually. when i do, i want to get a rashed up, used cbr600. any bigger, and ill get carried away and kill myself. maybe after i get some experience, ill upgrade to a bigger bike. and remember, theres only 2 kinds of motorcycle riders, those whove laid their bikes down, and those who will. its a matter of time, so start with a bike that has some scratches and stuff, maybe a salvage title, and wreck that one once or twice before you go out and drop 8-12 grand on a new one. good luck, and be careful.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:21 PM

wow didnt think i'd find this in a civic forum, but this is perfect for me. ive wanted a bike since i was 11, and even though i just got my first car (04 civic), im still crazy about gettin a bike. i've always eyeballed the cbr600 series, that always looked like the best choice for me.

Old 08-07-2005, 04:06 PM
HCF Member

I have ridden almost everything on the road with 2 wheels and I have a hunch that you are going to want a Sport Bike. Nothing else in the world is like leaning a Sport Bike over in a mountain or canyon run.

For my money, there isn't a better all-around bike than the YZF 600. I was going to trade my GSX-R 750 for a YZF 600 straight up before the guy layed it down. It also depends on how big you are. I am a little shorter than most so the Yamaha fits me.

My impressions...
Suzuki- Trendy. I hate Suzuki. Everybody wants a "Gixxer" I consider GSX-R owners rice. And they're ugly.
Kawasaki- Good power but unreliable in my experience. They also, to me, have a feeling of being cheaply made. They just don't seem as solid as they should.
Honda- What can you say? The bomb. Best engine, hands down. Powerful, responsive, a solid bike. The handling leaves a little to be desired though.
Yamaha- Less power than the Honda, Better handling than the Kawasaki. Solid bike. I rode my buddies YZF-6 and was wearing out a GSXR 1000 and a Hayabusa in the twisties.

My $0.02

Old 08-07-2005, 07:02 PM
HCF Member

6'0, 195 lbs. Thanks for the input so far.

Mario, I was thinking exactly what you suggested. Either a V-Star Classic 650 or a CBR. It's just for me. The only passenger riding that will occur will be short trips and that's going to be way down the road once I get the hang of things.

Old 08-07-2005, 07:08 PM

lol those are two entirely different bikes, but if you get the CBR, i expect pictures like these... jp be careful man

http://www.souza.gr/images/spy/pagina_photos/cbr.jpg

Old 08-07-2005, 07:38 PM

That's a 954, one of the best stunt bike out there, they were only made for two years-02 and 03. They are awesome! And we better get some pics like that once you get used to it![sm=drooldude.gif]

Quick Reply: First bike. Those with knowledge, please help.