The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Finally, people are going after Bush to do something about gas prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:35 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Finally, people are going after Bush to do something about gas prices

jeezis, i love political debates.

btw, i'm an "independant" according to my voter registration card...lol

Old 04-25-2006, 11:05 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Finally, people are going after Bush to do something about gas prices

About Alaska, the reason that Alaskans like drilling in ANWR is b/c they will get a ****load of money. Alaskians already get paid, yes that is correct, get paid for living in Alaska. They don't pay any taxes, but they all get like $2000 each year if they live in Alaska. Now if drilling in ANWR was allowed, they would get even more money. So no **** they agree with drilling in ANWR. In actuallity they don't give two ****s about wildlife preservation. And just b/c Bush's assests are frozen doesn't mean that he doesn't want to make all his oil buddies rich. The reason that Bush is responisble for high oil prices is b/c he went into Iraq, and now Iraq is destabalized and the oil wells are constantly on fire (due to insurgency). The world's 2nd largest oil reserves are not for sale since they are always burning, so this throws off the rest of the oil market. The difference b/w milk and gas is that i don't think there is a family that drinks 20+ gallons of milk in a month. We have two cars that fill up about once a month, each about 10 gallons.

Old 04-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Stinky Administrator

yeah i know what i get for voting

[IMG]local://upfiles/8815/F11BE070AA3F412DB96363E2117B1B98.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8815/6A98B2EFA03343CC893076AB1F20D5FE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8815/CA837DA57B5F4E198BEA46B859DE0BCD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/8815/2EFC834C4E6341B5918A12F14F21222E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-26-2006, 12:29 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

About Alaska, the reason that Alaskans like drilling in ANWR is b/c they will get a ****load of money. Alaskians already get paid, yes that is correct, get paid for living in Alaska. They don't pay any taxes, but they all get like $2000 each year if they live in Alaska. Now if drilling in ANWR was allowed, they would get even more money. So no **** they agree with drilling in ANWR. In actuallity they don't give two ****s about wildlife preservation. And just b/c Bush's assests are frozen doesn't mean that he doesn't want to make all his oil buddies rich. The reason that Bush is responisble for high oil prices is b/c he went into Iraq, and now Iraq is destabalized and the oil wells are constantly on fire (due to insurgency). The world's 2nd largest oil reserves are not for sale since they are always burning, so this throws off the rest of the oil market. The difference b/w milk and gas is that i don't think there is a family that drinks 20+ gallons of milk in a month. We have two cars that fill up about once a month, each about 10 gallons.
Check your facts before spitting them out. I live in AK--last years Dividend check was $847 this October they are predicting $1000. Its not about the money--the dividend is based off of oil prices and other stuff over the last 5 years for that dividend check period, so it is very unlikely ANWR would do much--if anything our checks would get smaller because oil prices would go down due to opening ANWR. Oh and about wildlife preservation, I laugh at you. I am a hunter and preservationist. The amount of area they would explore is this:

The total acreage of ANWR is 19.6 million acres. Energy exploration and production would occur on 2000 acres of the coastal plain, or just 0.01% of the total ANWR acreage.
For comparison:

o The size of the average farm in South Dakota is 1400 acres.
o The size of Washington’s Dulles Airport is 11,000 acres.
o The size of the National Audubon Society’s Paul J. Rainey Wildlife Refuge, where the Society produced natural gas safely for 50 years, is 26,800 acres.
o The size of the Michigan Audubon Society’s Bernard N. Baker Sanctuary, where the Society produced oil safely for 13 years, is 900 acres.

When approved, environmentally-sensitive ANWR exploration and production on 2000 acres would create over 1 million jobs, lessen our dependence on foreign sources, and stimulate the economy. courtesy of http://www.amasci.com/~rarnold/the_facts.htm

So agian you have no valid points. Also, other states like TX also get royalties off the oil--they just choose to do different things with it.
Also I did a term paper in college on this ****---the oil production currently in AK had companies invent things like foam tires and other crap to protect the current state of things. Please next time you spit out useless facts and bash Bush (whom I dont like, but I will not bash), get your facts straight---Dave

Old 04-26-2006, 12:32 AM
HCF Member

How are the tax divedends going to go less? There is more oil buisness in your state so the state will end up collecting less taxes? In my state i get $0.00 in dividends, in fact i have to pay taxes.

Old 04-26-2006, 01:34 AM
HCF Member

How are the tax divedends going to go less? There is more oil buisness in your state so the state will end up collecting less taxes? In my state i get $0.00 in dividends, in fact i have to pay taxes.
Our dividend is based on the peformance of the investments from profits and that is calculated over 5 years. If say ANWR opens and oil prices go down, thats less income. We may produce more barrels, but thats assuming they dont shut down some of the older pumps for ANWR. Oh and we do pay taxes--every city in the state decides if they want a sales tax. Anchorage doesn't, but a bunch of cities do ranging from 3-8% in line with other cities around the country. Oh, and we have property taxes that rival some of the highest in the nation, as well as our alcohol tax and cigarette tax if you indulge in those. Oh, and don't forget what we pay for food up here because we have to ship up everything. Oh, if you live north of Mt McKinley expect to pay $3-$5 a gallon of gas, and this has been going on for years. Oh, and you choose to live in your state. I came up here with the Air Force 7 years ago and decided to get out and join the Guard so I could stay here. If you think the piddly $1000 a year is what keeps people here, then think again---Dave

Old 04-26-2006, 01:37 AM
HCF Member

Why would you shut down an older pump that still pumps oil? Wouldn't the oil companies bring in more pumps so they could pump more oil, b/c thats what i thought was the point of opening up ANWR to pumping.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:00 AM
HCF Member

Why would you shut down an older pump that still pumps oil? Wouldn't the oil companies bring in more pumps so they could pump more oil, b/c thats what i thought was the point of opening up ANWR to pumping.
My buddies dad works up there on the slope. He says many are getting up there in age apparently, and its costing more and more to dig further and further to get to the oil. They spent a lot of money investing in some drill that can go sideways once its down a long ways because it getting harder to find. Heres some quick quotes from articles:

Domestic crude oil production is projected to continue its historic decline throughout the forecast, declining from 6.5 million barrels per day in 1997 to 5.0 million barrels per day in 2020. More than half of the decline is from falling Alaskan crude oil production. Alaska production is expected to decline rapidly--at 4.1 percent annually -- as Prudhoe Bay and most other oil fields decline. The general trend in world oil prices was up, but the EIA thought it most likely at a gradual rate at best. High stock levels worldwide were forecast to restrain prices from moving up sharply, especially if anticipated increases in winter demand fail to materialize. http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/intro/oil.htm

Alaska Oil Field's Falling Production Reflects U.S. Trend
Technology Postpones the Inevitable At Prudhoe Bay and Other Locations

By Justin Blum
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 7, 2005; D01

PRUDHOE BAY, Alaska -- Oil keeps flowing through a maze of aging wells, pumps and pipelines that poke through the snow on this desolate North Slope tundra.

But this vast field is ailing: Output has fallen by nearly 75 percent from its peak in 1987 and is expected to continue dropping.

The Prudhoe Bay field sprawling over an area the size of Howard County still pumps more oil than any other site in the United States. But its shrinking production reflects a trend throughout the country: After years of pumping, fields in the U.S. are drawing less oil from the ground. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...601742_pf.html

They've been running them fields since the late 1950's and they really aren't all that big of reserves compared to the middle east and Canada (most of our oil imports comes from them canucks).

If you go to this site (its a little old though) http://www.hubbertpeak.com/us/ it shows that 4 states have produced more oil then Alaska. Currently Texas is the #1 producer---Dave

Old 04-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Administrator

i would like to say that i am not political...unless youre a rich, old, white man, the gov't, be it rep. or dem., doesnt give a damn what you think. Bush benefits from big business, as does the rest of the gov't, and oil is one big *** business. Also, bush is an oil tycoon, and if you HONESTLY think that there isnt money coming in while hes in office, you are the most naive person in the world. The gov't is packed full of liars and crooks...like it or not...look how many laywers are in office throughout the US.

If bush, or the rest of the gov't wanted to, they could easily alter the end price of fuel, but since the gov't is making money off of the taxes and such, they wont. The gov't regulates the price of lots of things, and they could do the same here, but the gov't as a whole is making too much money to care what "little people" need.

Old 04-26-2006, 02:45 PM
HCF Member

I believe back in my home country the gov paid the extras so people can buy lowered price than it supposed to be. I think they can do that because none of the leaders own oil company (or involve in the industry) and they dont have a war to go to.

Quick Reply: Finally, people are going after Bush to do something about gas prices