The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

fiberglass speaker box

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 02:05 PM
HCF Member
Default fiberglass speaker box

here are a couple pics for reference, basicly i made this box after work 1 day, real fast. problem is wieght. its too freaking heavy, so i'm going to attempt fiberglass. keep the weight minimal and if it turns out cool, i can spray car paint on it and make it awesome. any tips or pointers would be helpful, .. 1 pic is with rear seat down, for clarity. other w/ seat in upright pos

[IMG]local://upfiles/1438/1F7F181B0B144C5D8C7E852D273C6435.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/1438/96862323EC8C4097AD81D856BD25DE7A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-31-2005, 09:39 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: fiberglass speaker box

for one.. this should be in the car audio section...and 2..i wouldnt advise using fiberglass unless you know how. u will make a mess and waste money. i know kids who can make a damn good box but make fiberglass boxes that look like swiss cheese. the are certain ways of doing fiberglass so if u want to really try it. ask for a step by step from remmy or myself

Old 03-31-2005, 10:32 PM
HCF Member

i'm askin. i'll probably f it up atleast once but thats how you learn sometimes. if you noticed my paint from other threads, my first time with a sprayer in my hand and its a heluvalot better than any 1 day shop. i'm a construction project manager building high end homes on west coast, i make a living with my hands (and sometimes i'm smart enough to ask for help if i dont know). reason i'm saying all this is the info aint goin to some lameass, i just dont know or trust anybody to do something like this, when your bldg ideas come as you go. and if somebody else is doin it they get bent fore to long. so again yes i'm asking, i'm sure i can read the can to figure how to glass it. i want the tricks...i.e. sther a certain way to do corners, do i use a ply subframe or only as a mold, and how about ther span, its holding 2-6.5c jbl and two 6x9 jbl (matching series), so i'd rather it didnt collapse on me. **** like that i can't get from the cerial box, i have a fosgate 4004 puttin 100w rms to each of these . i dont want it to fall apart or buzz. or i could start smaller and do the sub first. its a fosgate 210 series 200w rms with a mono alpine supplying it, e-mail me if you ever need help with.. hanging a door...or a staircase.. i'll gladly return the hospitality... jesus who wrote all that **** up there, u musta hit a nerve somewhere. i'm tired

Old 04-01-2005, 04:01 PM
HCF Member

hehe ok..you have an advatage then mose...

usually when u build a fiberglass box, you want to make a frame out of mdf wood. (most newbies dont do that and try to just make it outa chicken wire..bad choice joice).. the fame should be the circles that hold the speakers, attached to the frames of the box and some sort of basic spine for support.

then you use chicken wire of fabric (i prefer fabric) and u cover the frame and lay it however u wanna..then you start applying the fiberglass layer by layer(as in let dry, add, let dry,add..ect) you put as many layers as needed to make the thinkness you need, im not sure how many it is for just component speakers..maybe remmys has a guess but it should be like .5 inch or somthin.. then you can paint it whatever color u like and whalla, you got urself a box.

Old 04-02-2005, 12:14 AM
HCF Member

thank you for the respect, i just reread my post on that, i think i was a little upset? i'll snap one of my first attempt and post it as either, "i shoulda listened" or "neener neener neener". told you i could do it.....crossed fingers for the later

Old 04-02-2005, 01:18 AM

hey DCA, i'm going to start on a box probably this weekend. would you suggest fleece or lycra to stretch over the mdf for the first layer before putting the glass over it