The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

The Epic HCF Weight Loss and Diet Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2010, 07:33 AM
Cat Fuсker

Nike, the best way to increase protein intake is to... um... well you know where I'm going with this.

Anyway, I'm 5'10", 225lbs, have been this weight for 5-6 years now. Am I fat? Hell yea. Damn proud of it too.

Old 06-16-2010, 07:39 AM
Super Cereal Admin

5'10", 155lbs; steady for 5 years now.

My diet includes candy, potato chips, rice-a-roni, McDonald's, Taco Bell, and certain liquid refreshments. Somehow I still manage to maintain an athletic build without exercise. It's going to be a sad, sad day when my metabolism slows down

Old 06-17-2010, 05:59 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

pro-tip: Apples n' peanut butter is a fantastic mid-morning snack to keep your metabolism moving. Also, obviously filled with protein and vitamins. Apples are also an appetite suppresent due to their fiber and (insert name of chemical I can't remember right now here) content. (will update when I remember, haha)

Old 06-17-2010, 06:28 AM
shawty

Apples and peanut butter is amazing omgg

Old 06-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Friday weigh in, down another 3 lbs, BOOM! Probably could have been more had I not drank as many beers as I did last weekend, but I needed the break. Still stoked!

I've got two more weeks to drop 8 lbs if I want to hit my goal. Going to have to push it but I'm in it to win it!

Old 06-25-2010, 08:10 AM

Keep it up Tony! Just don't screw it up and gain it all back once you reach your goal lol.

2 more weeks left in my P90X program. I can't believe it's been almost 3 months since I started. I feel great though.

Old 06-29-2010, 09:14 AM
HCF Member

In my opinion, the most effective way to lose weight is to run 3-5 miles in the morning before you eat anything. By doing this your body has a carbohydrate deficit, so instead of burning the carbs stored from the food you have eaten, it starts right in on the fat.

When running, its best to use High Intensity Interval Training, which means jog several minutes, run as hard as you can for several minutes, walk for a few seconds, and repeat continuously. By doing this, you body doesnt ever get to adjust itself to the pace you are setting, therefore it is more demanding.

As for diet, I find eating little things all through the day keeps me less hungry than eating only 3 meals. Also, foods high in fiber and protein seem to be more filling and less caloric. As mentioned before, drinking water is also very important in making sure that your metabolism along with all your other body functions, operate properly.

Also, be energetic at your job if it is feasible. I could just be lazy and do only what I have to, but I push myself hard enough to break a sweat multiple times a day. It will impress your managers AND you will be getting payed to burn calories.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:18 AM
HCF Member

My cousin and I have been working out for about a month and a half now, I'm not droping lbs but I am gainging muscle so I figure, I'm gaining muscle and staying the same weight I must be loosing fat. Right now I'm at 6'3-4" and 225-230lbs, in high school I used to be the same height but only 180lbs

Old 06-29-2010, 11:15 AM
Chubby Chaser

just went to doctors for a check up and ive lost 20lbs. im now down to 166lbs. damn summer heat sweating the **** off me. and ive been workin on vehicles alot lately

Old 08-09-2010, 05:10 PM

Bringing it back with my update:

I've cut out 98% of all sodas from my diet. (I still have one from time to time when there's nothing else and water is lame.) I drink more water anyways. My apartment complex opened a fitness center so I've been rocking the elliptical for about 30 minutes a day. I'm working on burning fat first since I'm waaay fat. I'll start building muscle later on.

Yeah, so here's how bad I was before I started all this: I got on the digital scale and I weighed 281.8 lbs (naked!) ... (-_-). I'm 5'11 and almost 25 years old. I let myself go pretty bad.

I burn a little over 400 calories every 30 or so minutes on the elliptical and I've gone 5 times so far. I'm doing interval training to start with. There's also gonna be a multivitamin added to my daily routine soon. I'm also watching my calories of course.

Here's the basic idea of my reasoning. I'm a male, 25 y/o, 280lbs, and moderately active. The basal metabolic rate (what your body would need to function if you'd decided to stay in bed all day) for a 280lb 25y/o male who is 5'11 is about 2500 calories.

One pound of fat is equivalent to 3500 calories.

Here's the Harris Benedict Equation approach. It's a formula that uses your BMR and then applies an "activity factor" to determine your total daily energy expenditure. The only factor omitted by the Harris Benedict Equation is lean body mass. So, this equation will be very accurate in all but the very muscular (will under-estimate calorie needs) and the very fat (will over-estimate calorie needs). For me, a light exerciser, I use the factor 1.375*2500 (BMR) to get about 3400. For me to maintain my current weight, I'd need to eat about 3400 calories a day.

If I'd like to lose two pounds a week (both healthy and realistic), I'd want to cut my weekly caloric intake by 7000 calories. About a thousand calories a day from the 3400 'maintenance intake' . Is 2400 calories doable? Absolutely. That's doable just by changing eating habits alone. And I haven't even taken an increase in exercise into account!

If I factor in my cardio (once I get my body used to it), that'll be around 500 calories every day or so. So if I've eaten 2400 calories that day, my net caloric intake is actually about 1900 calories and I'm well on my way to losing some flab.

Quick Reply: The Epic HCF Weight Loss and Diet Thread