The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Is the driving test hard? Im going to take mine soon

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:58 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Is the driving test hard? Im going to take mine soon

It is different any place you go

Old 07-03-2006, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

Whats this about shoulder check? Look behind you with your head? I thought you were supposed to only use the mirrors? My book says you are supposed to go around the car before getting in did anyone have to do this? Its on page 28 of my SC drivers guide. It says before enterring make sure nothing is behind you maybe go around the car and such. When I pull up to the dmv parking spot their wont be anything behind me when I go to take the dmv guy on a ride.

This guy he does let you know at least 10 seconds before you need to do something I mean he doesnt just say out of the blue "turn here" or do this. Does he say like in a moment when you get to ..... do this.

Old 07-03-2006, 11:26 AM
HCF Member

Your best bet is to walk around the car just to be on the safe side. You never now whats around your car. The shoudler check is to look over when your doing a lane change and also use your mirrors. It wont hurt you to use both the shoudler check and using ur mirriors. Also they have to let you know where your going to so dont sweet it they will give you pleanty of time to do ur turns and lane changes and the what not. just be smart about everything and also make sure your radio is off when you are dong ur road test. Yes I know its going to suck but deal with it.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:23 PM
HCF Member

I just remembered, when i was taking the driving test the instructor was busy reading the newspaper and for some reason i couldnt press the brake (the connector thing to instructor side was in the way) and he looked up in time to stomp on the brake and save us from crashing and he was just like be careful. Then if that wasnt enough later on the same day i was behind a car and i was going to switch lanes to go around, well little did i know the instructor was holding down the brake for some reason so the car was just revving and i was like wtf and all of a sudden he let go and the car launched to the side and we almost crashed with a big yellow work truck (big ones). Well at the end of the day i still passed with a B, not too bad i think.

Old 07-03-2006, 10:34 PM
HCF Member

I think where im at you drive your own car. You are talking about drivers ed. Yeah im a little scared a bit and a little later than most(just turned 17 one month ago). I dont drive much and so thats why im waiting till maybe this fall to get it. Just whenever I feel like it. Thanks for the tips...Will keep practicing and when im ready I will get it. No rush.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:12 AM

you drive your own car here in florida, and also a dmv employee rides with you....its easy though....
when i was taking mine, i was going through an intersection and a car ran the redlight and almost hit me, so he failed me and i had to take it all over again...

Old 07-05-2006, 01:18 PM

Man i killed that driving test cause im a good driver....NJ tests are not that easy either

But just take your time dont rush and have fun dont be nervous

Old 07-05-2006, 01:31 PM
HCF Member

did anyone else NOT do 10 and 2? when i took seg1 they were like 'you can do 10 and 2 or 8 and 4...either one'. silly me.. i did 10 and 4 (maybe 11). i missed 3 points on it because of that. ****ers.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
HCF Member

On the written I failed the first time because I figured it'd be easy common sense stuff and didn't read the little booklet that you get here in wa. The night i failed it, I read the booklet cover to cover (it's small, didn't take long.) And the second time I took the written, it was a breeze.

On the driving test, I only missed backing around a corner because my driving instructor never taught my group that (he missed a lot of classes because his wife was in the hospital... no bigge. But I still can't PROPERLY back around a corner ) Everything else was easy. But like others have said, it's going to very state to state and instructor to instructor. So a lot of our advice won't help you. Just be calm and smart, and safe.

Also, when I was taught about using mirrors and looking over the shoulder and stuff, my instructor taught us an acronym, SMOG. It stands for Singal, Mirrors, Over the shoulder, GO! It's a saftey thing, and even if it's not your normal driving habit, it would be good to show the person testing you how safe you are.

Good luck!

Old 07-05-2006, 02:15 PM
HCF Member

i usually watch the mirror when im pulling over into the lane just in case somebody pulled out behind me when i was checking my blind spot.

Quick Reply: Is the driving test hard? Im going to take mine soon