The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Death to Dell computers!!!11!

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 11:44 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Death to Dell computers!!!11!

design on a Dell???

I used to have a dual XEON dell at my old workplace for flash/video & 3d. it was the biggest piece of crap I've ever used, and it was brand new.

my company broke down and bought me a $4,000 dual AMD 64 BOXX workstation. It was much nicer, but still had problems.

computers, like all electronics, boil down to this: you get what you pay for.

I currently use an HP workstation at my new job. It was designed for our hospital's radiology department, and was fast as hell, when I first got it less than a year ago.

It's quickly sliding downhill, though.

as for my home computer, I have a dual G4 processor Powermac and it's six years old and still does everything I ask of it, video, 3d, photoshop and flash compiling -- stuff that kills most computers pretty quick.

I'll probably buy a new Intel Mac desktop this year when the professional models are released, because the current Intel Mac laptops run Windows XP faster than, well, peecees. lol.

that says a lot of its sheer horsepower, considering XP isn't its default OS.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:17 AM
HCF Member

Macs and I have an "understanding". A business relationship, if you will. We see each other at work (actually school), and that's it. I'll be the first to admit that Macs run better, but I can make PCs do what I want. I can totally see how video would fry up even a midrange PC model--I can't run my 3 minute movie title sequences on this computer. My design work is just telling the pixels and vector paths where to go and what to do when they get there, so nothing taxing other than large image files and complicated vector layouts.

Old 04-22-2006, 12:19 AM
HCF Member

Oh, and one of my friends referred to the Mac "I'm thinkin!" cursor as the "Spinning Rainbow of Death."

Old 04-22-2006, 12:22 AM
HCF Member

it sure beats the BSOD.

Old 04-22-2006, 01:22 AM
HCF Member

Yeah, true that. At least you still have Force Quit if the SROD gets you no where. I haven't seen the BSOD in a long time though, only on our 6 year old beater laptop.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:48 AM
HCF Member

I have a dell and have no problems at all with it and if I do Dell support is great. Something went wrong with it a couple months after I got it(cant remember what it was) and this was late on a saturday night. The computer automaticly sent a email/message to dell and they called me at around 10 the next morning and had 2 techs out at my doorstep within 30 minutes. Fixed it in 45 minutes and was gone.

Old 04-22-2006, 03:52 AM

That sounds like some government coverup marty....were they wearing black suits?

Old 04-22-2006, 03:58 AM
HCF Member

yes and they were driving a mid 80 blacked out LTD

Old 04-23-2006, 11:04 AM
HCF Member

we use HP servers at my work and are CONSTANTlY having problems... i mean like every half an hour getting booted from the system... so for me working with Dell/HP/Mac's i have the best luck with macs. it seems that everytime i use a Dell or HP they go[:'(] on me.

and when i worked with apple we called it the bouncing beachball of death.

Old 04-23-2006, 05:53 PM
HCF Member

i hate macs. not gamer friendly at all.

Quick Reply: Death to Dell computers!!!11!