The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

darwin awards!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator
Default darwin awards!!

Darwin Awards...And I think we just may have a winner...!
The following attempt at a crime spree in Washington State appeared to be the robber's first (and last), due to his lack of a previous record of violence, and his terminally stupid choices:

1. His target was H&J Leather & Firearms, a gun shop specializing in handguns.

2. The shop was full of customers - firearms customers.

3. To enter the shop, the robber had to step around a marked police car parked at the front door.

4. A uniformed officer was standing at the counter, having coffee before work.

Upon seeing the officer, the would-be robber announced a hold-up, and fired a few wild shots from a .22 target pistol. The officer and a clerk promptly returned fire, the police officer with a 9mm Glock 17, the clerk with a .50 Desert Eagle, assisted by several customers who also drew their guns, several of whom also fired.

The robber was pronounced dead at the scene by Paramedics. Crime scene investigators located 47 expended cartridge cases in the shop. The subsequent autopsy revealed 23 gunshot wounds. Ballistics identified rounds from 7 different weapons.

No one else was hurt in the exchange of fire.

Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: darwin awards!!

you gotta love conceal/carry permits. I don't leave home w/o it or my makarov 380 (you know the james bond special)

at what point was he able to think damn I think this was a mistake.....[&:] you gonna eat that whole donut?[&o]

Old 03-29-2005, 01:45 PM
HCF Member

with that many red flags (i would think) someone with a tad bit of common sense would have just declined from being the next block of swiss cheese. he must not have many friends cuz a real friend will give you a quick reality check (ie THAT'S THE STUPIDEST IDEA I'VE EVER HEARD OF) just for starters or maybe even [sm=chairshot.gif]

at what point was he able to think damn I think this was a mistake..... you gonna eat that whole donut?
[sm=chattypair.gif]

Old 03-29-2005, 02:44 PM

what a dumbass

Old 03-29-2005, 03:05 PM
HCF Member

what about all the people who kept shooting, the threat was gone after the first three or four shots, i'm sure. so these people fired another 40 rounds at a dead body and still missed 50 % of their shots. remedial weapons handling is in order. personally ,i think, all the yokels who fired unneccessarily aught to be charged with atleast unsafe use of fire arms, with that much lead flying around they are lucky not to have sot eachother or a kid ora cat, you get the idea.
i think to get the "darwin" you have to cause the injury's yourself, but it should definately get an "honorable mention"........i love those books, and i like guns, dont get me wrong. its these kinds of idiots that the lobyist's are useing for examples of the neccessity for stricter gun control, this was not a win for our side guys. i dont think mosses is to happy about this

Old 03-29-2005, 03:08 PM
HCF Member

for those of you going "mosses?".. charlton heston played mosses in the movie the bible , and is president of the national riflemans association

Old 03-29-2005, 11:00 PM

This Darwin award is classic bit of a long read but funny none the less:

The Arizona Highway Patrol were mystified when they came upon a pile of smoldering wreckage embedded in the side of a cliff rising above the road at the apex of a curve. The metal debris resembled the site of an airplane crash, but it turned out to be the vaporized remains of an automobile. The make of the vehicle was unidentifiable at the scene.

The folks in the lab finally figured out what it was, and pieced together the events that led up to its demise.

It seems that a former Air Force sergeant had somehow got hold of a JATO (Jet Assisted Take-Off) unit. JATO units are solid fuel rockets used to give heavy military transport airplanes an extra push for take-off from short airfields.

Dried desert lakebeds are the location of choice for breaking the world ground vehicle speed record. The sergeant took the JATO unit into the Arizona desert and found a long, straight stretch of road. He attached the JATO unit to his car, jumped in, accelerated to a high speed, and fired off the rocket.

The facts, as best as could be determined, are as follows:

The operator was driving a 1967 Chevy Impala. He ignited the JATO unit approximately 3.9 miles from the crash site. This was established by the location of a prominently scorched and melted strip of asphalt. The vehicle quickly reached a speed of between 250 and 300 mph and continued at that speed, under full power, for an additional 20-25 seconds. The soon-to-be pilot experienced G-forces usually reserved for dog-fighting F-14 jocks under full afterburners.

The Chevy remained on the straight highway for approximately 2.6 miles (15-20 seconds) before the driver applied the brakes, completely melting them, blowing the tires, and leaving thick rubber marks on the road surface. The vehicle then became airborne for an additional 1.3 miles, impacted the cliff face at a height of 125 feet, and left a blackened crater 3 feet deep in the rock.

Most of the driver's remains were not recovered; however, small fragments of bone, teeth, and hair were extracted from the crater, and fingernail and bone shards were removed from a piece of debris believed to be a portion of the steering wheel.

Ironically a still-legible bumper sticker was found, reading
"How do you like my driving? Dial 1-800-EAT-SH(^."

Old 03-29-2005, 11:08 PM
HCF Member

hil- - larious

Old 03-29-2005, 11:12 PM
HCF Member

sorry to burst your bubble, because that is a great story, but they disproved the physical possibility of that on Myth Busters.

but as for the idiot in the gunstore, he did cause the injury to himself when he was stupid enough to draw a gun in a gunshop with a uniformed police officer. and ive been target practicing with a lot of police officers, and they arent as good as they should be. chances are, a lot of those missed shots were his and most yokels ive known were pretty decent shots. but yeah, who the hell would keep firing? oh yeah, and the 47 would include the "few wild shots with a .22 target pistol" that the would-be, fired himself. i guess im about to start rambling....so iom gonna just finish this up and hit the button......

Old 03-30-2005, 04:43 PM
HCF Member

i thought i was reading my own post for a second, sacicons.
i think my favorite darwin is the guy with ins forms. (somebody with the book , please fill in blank spots in my memory)
this guy is building an 80' tall ham radio antena tower, upon completion ha has somewhere around 300 lbs of materials and tools in a bucket, he weighs around 150 or so. he has the bucket tied to something on the ground, he unties it, and it pulls him off the ground, when he reaches the mid point he collides with the bucket, resulting in a broken shoulder and head injurys, still ascending he reaches the pulley, resulting in the smashed fingers. when the bucket hit the ground, the bottom broke out, now the weight change made him descend rapidlyon the way down he hit the bucket again, and then when he hit the ground , he finaly let go of the rope, only to have the bucket come back down and hit his *** again. on his insurance form he summed all this up as.....poor planning