The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Craigslist Scam Attempt

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2009, 12:18 AM
Default Craigslist Scam Attempt

So I have my old rims listed for sale on craigslist. I get a fishy e-mail, so I let him humor me, just for fun.

"Hello, is the item still available? please get back to me asap. thanks"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yes, I still have them."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Hello,
How are you and how is the family? I am very sorry for getting back to you late. What have you been up to and how is the family, I was hoping you were going to call me back but email is okay too because I'm unable to make it to where the phone is most times. Firstly I will like to tell you that I am not interested in scam and fraud of any kind on here because I'm a disabled man and I manage what I have with me to get what I want. Anyway I am ready to buy it like I said and will like to add about $100 to the listed price s0 will appreciate it If you can close the advert for me today or first thing tomorrow morning when I will be getting set to send you payment, moreover detailed pictures will be appreciated as well when replying to my message.
I will be sending your payment by either wire transfer or bank certified check, out of which the bank certified check will be a better option for me, the check will cover all the shipping, pick-up and delivery expenses that will be paid to the shipper picking up from you as soon as the check has cleared your bank.please send me your full name and address to send the payment to(no po box please)
I am restricted to moving around due to the operation I just went through, so the computer is the only way to buy, shop and place order on whatever is needed by me daily. I am buying this for a friend as compensation when he comes back from his tour, he is the one who takes me around on wheel chair before the operation whenever I need to go out and help me with more other things that might prove difficult for me to do, I hope you have imagined and understood the kind of situation I am in. Willing to round up this transaction before weekend
thanks and delete posting from craigslist

P.S. I am having some difficulties with my paypal account presently and need that to be resolved very well, money was transfered off it without my notice, so I had to file a complaint to the Resolution Centre, I'm waiting for response though, but since I can send out the payment in full as soon as tomorrow I dont think we will have problems with that."
"From the tone of your e-mail and the fact that all craigslist scams follow this format, I know that you are a scammer. Nice try, *******."

Then I sent another e-mail immediately following, just to **** him off...

"Oh, and burn in hell.
Thank you have a great day!"

lololol
that was fun, thought i'd share

Old 02-11-2009, 05:46 AM
HCF Member

A guy I know from an offroad forum sells huge quantities of high end wine/champagne online. He takes it to the next level with these guys; he uses the shipping label that the scammers send to him, and usually sends them a massive quantity of junk, any garbage he has around the office. The first address is usually a test, the scammer wants to see if you actually send something. They track the package and see that it's been delivered to the address without picking it up or intercepting it, then they make another order for a ridiculous amount of product sent to another address, one where they can actually pick up or intercept the package. So this guy sends them an even larger quantity of random objects and trash

Old 02-11-2009, 08:56 AM
HCF Member

that's why craigslist is all hand to hand dealing. If the dude wants to pay from his computer, get on ebay and use paypal

lol I would report these people that try to pull this off. Try to sue them as well for being stupid.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:40 AM
Cat Fuсker

Why are you so mean to me? I don't appreciate those kinds of responses...

Old 02-11-2009, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

lol, i get those all the time when i sell stuff on craigslist. its pretty funny to hear there story

Old 02-11-2009, 04:48 PM
Recognized HCF Member

anything i list on craigs almost ALWAYS gets me a scam email afew times per post....

main thing to remember if it says YOUR ITEM its a scam... they are to lazy to even type out a email they just send out massive copy paste emails that probably use automated email accounts that look for YES and automaticly send a response.
ive tried a few times and didnt say YES i say something like, what item, y a maybe, what item... and it seems like i dont get to many responce emails from them after that... tho i have got a few.
anything to deal with shipping or checks or a FRIEND.... means scam.
anything i sell on craigs is a hand to hand sale, and i only ship stuff thru ebay if paid thru paypal

Old 02-11-2009, 06:38 PM
June 2010 ROTM

CL... ...don't be loco, deal local.

The stupid thing is is that the scammers always seem to get some naive victims. Who still gets duped by these scams anyways?!?

Old 02-12-2009, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by danomatic93
CL... ...don't be loco, deal local.

The stupid thing is is that the scammers always seem to get some naive victims. Who still gets duped by these scams anyways?!?
old ppl and high school kids

Old 02-12-2009, 05:14 PM
HCF Member

ya those internet buying places are full of scammers. once tried to buy some cheap product on ebay, lol, i think it was a pure setup sale. i got sent 3 seperate second chance offers, all they needed was my username and something else i forget. had one running for about 5-6 posts.

Old 02-12-2009, 05:25 PM
Administrator - Formerly 90Civtegra

best way to avoid these emails when using craigslist - DO NOT PUT YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS IN THE LISTING, let people email you through the link provided by craigslist, usually eliminates almost all scam emails.

Before I figured that out I used to reply to the emails telling them my final price is something like $23,343 for a $50 part. Then I give them my buddies name (who is a Lieutenant for my local police department) and the adress for my local police station. LMAO

Quick Reply: Craigslist Scam Attempt