The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Are cops allowed to be on private property??

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2007, 01:04 PM
Default RE: Are cops allowed to be on private property??

ORIGINAL: cderalow

side note, in the majority of states, the town/state owns 10ft from the curb line into private property, so where that cop was sitting, is perfectly fine

also, what most people consider a "stop" at a stop sign, is not a complete stop like you are supposed to make. your vehicle should come to a complete and full stop for at least 1 second before proceeding through the intersection... not sort of stop and go (aka rolling stop) like 90% of people make
I was going to say the same thing. In MN the first 12 feet from the street is considered the "boulevard" and is city property.

I'm not sure where you are from or how things work there, but in MN if you go to the court date, the first person you talk to is the city attorney (or something to that effect) with whom you can negotiate. I have fought about 4 tickets, and never once entered the courtroom. Each time it was settled with the attorney guy with zero issues, especially for a couple bogus tickets.

Do you drive a stick?I got out of a ticket once by saying that I thought I stopped and that I would make a concious effort to make better stops and the cop was okay with it (this was at the stop sign by his house, he was pulling out of the driveway, and then took off after me). Sometimes it's better to be nice than to start bitching at the cop.

Old 05-08-2007, 01:18 PM
HCF Member

my friend with his f*cking Slowbalt, his mom is probation officer so his mom knows all the cops, so he gets off all the time, but since this is a small town and everyone knows everyone, a cop finally got sick of it and pulled him over/gave him a ticket for seriously 5 over the speed limit (going 61 in a 55 haha) since all the cops know he speeds allthe time. His mom flipped out on him too he's so f*ckin stupid too, he brags about his Cobalt going 0-120 in like 11 or some ****, and i just laugh because its not that much faster than my car and my car is slow as ****, i cant wait to boost the Civic and show him up [:@]sorry for the vent......good luck on fighting the ticket! lol

Old 05-08-2007, 02:02 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: FlipHKD720

my friend with his f*cking Slowbalt, his mom is probation officer so his mom knows all the cops, so he gets off all the time, but since this is a small town and everyone knows everyone, a cop finally got sick of it and pulled him over/gave him a ticket for seriously 5 over the speed limit (going 61 in a 55 haha) since all the cops know he speeds allthe time. His mom flipped out on him too he's so f*ckin stupid too, he brags about his Cobalt going 0-120 in like 11 or some ****, and i just laugh because its not that much faster than my car and my car is slow as ****, i cant wait to boost the Civic and show him up [:@]sorry for the vent......good luck on fighting the ticket! lol
61-55 = 6 miles over not 5.. just thought id let u know

Old 05-08-2007, 02:26 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mlobitz

ORIGINAL: cderalow

side note, in the majority of states, the town/state owns 10ft from the curb line into private property, so where that cop was sitting, is perfectly fine

also, what most people consider a "stop" at a stop sign, is not a complete stop like you are supposed to make. your vehicle should come to a complete and full stop for at least 1 second before proceeding through the intersection... not sort of stop and go (aka rolling stop) like 90% of people make
I was going to say the same thing. In MN the first 12 feet from the street is considered the "boulevard" and is city property.

I'm not sure where you are from or how things work there, but in MN if you go to the court date, the first person you talk to is the city attorney (or something to that effect) with whom you can negotiate. I have fought about 4 tickets, and never once entered the courtroom. Each time it was settled with the attorney guy with zero issues, especially for a couple bogus tickets.

Do you drive a stick?I got out of a ticket once by saying that I thought I stopped and that I would make a concious effort to make better stops and the cop was okay with it (this was at the stop sign by his house, he was pulling out of the driveway, and then took off after me). Sometimes it's better to be nice than to start bitching at the cop.
Nah I dont drive a stick...

I live in jacksonville beach, FL if that helps anyone.

This ticket is for $118.50 and itll land me 3 points on my license. Then insurance increase. So basically I'm gonna fight it.

Well once again, thanks for the replies everyone.