The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 05:02 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?

well, as i said my quad does almost 80 MPH out of the crate, thats not that fast in a car, but when your without a cage, doors, anythings, its INSANELY fast. Now the 400cc quads are capable of 65 or so, maybe a little more. Still fast enough to injure yourself very seriously but not a quad that out of the box can go highway speed if you get what im saying. Another quad to look at is a Yamaha Raptor 350. Its a refined and changed version of the ole warrior 350. Nice little bike, looks goood, strong motor, has reverse. Will pull almost 60 MPH and is very user friendly. I know your not getting it for speed but once you go any lower they get a little too tame to have any fun on you know?

Eric.

Old 09-10-2007, 08:57 PM

on atvs 40cc to 50cc its ages 6 and up. 0n 80cc and 90 its age 12 and up and anything above its 16 years old to operate

Old 09-10-2007, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: SuzieQ

ORIGINAL: desert2007

one reason why you may keep hearing about the smaller ones is because everyone and their brother is making small atv's, 200cc's and below. Us in the racing world call them day racers. Because if your kid races them for a day they are usually toast. They are put together with junk parts and to get anything replacement you have to call overseas. Its best to stick with any name brand. Bombardier now known as Can-Am, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and of course, Honda. The reason why there arent many immitators of the larger CC machines is because they just dont sell, when you go with a bike of this size your keeping it for awhile and your possibly going to upgrade it. Where a small quad is going to be grown out of. This is why only a handful of manufacturors create larger machines.

As stated before i would highly suggest getting your kid a 400cc machine. Its fast, but not too fast, nimble, but not too nimble, and highly modable later on in life. They also dont cost much. I would pick up an older (2005 and below) 400EX by honda, or a z400 by suzuki, or a KFX400 by Kawasaki, the z and kfx 400's are almost exactly alike, the only difference is badging and colors. And agian they are all fast, but not too fast you know. I ride a 2004 honda TRX450r and it goes 79 MPH out of the crate, the 400's dont do that thank god. And on the plus side most all of them have reverse, and are very user friendly when compared to the explosive power of the 450's.

Eric.
Thanks Eric. That sheds some light on what I've been hearing, actually. But what is "fast but not too fast"?
hi eric is it? you should really be paying attention to what you say, she said she had a 4YEAR OLD. and your telling her to put him on a 400cc? thats rediculous!!! you supossebly race? a stock suzuki Ltz 400 does 70 mph un moded. dont listen to this guy kids quads are fine to get for your kids. they have a higher resale value cuz kids ride them, and they dont abuse them. you can sell them for almost what you payed for it(they only go soo fast [ a 90 does about 25 mph]) and kids dont damage them if they roll em or anything like that, but he was right about getting a name brand like suzuki or yamaha. theyll come with a 6 month warrenty from the factory, and you can also get extended warrenty

Old 09-11-2007, 09:00 AM
HCF Member

Well when I was 13 we got a honda fourtrax 300. Its a fast atv. I rode it alone all the time. My cousins ride it and they are younger than I am.
Sure kids should be able to ride alone as long as they know how to use the breaks and handle it. Just walking down the street is dangerous so should you make your kids wear knee pads and a helmet everywhere they go in case they fall down? I don't think so.

Teach them how to drive and what not to do and let them have fun. We have lots of land around here and I still have the atv today. I am now 18. Yes I have had my share of accidents and I am lucky to be alive with this one accident that I walked away without a scratch. I learned a lot and it helps me drive a car better today! Infact letting your kids drive a atv when they around young makes them drive better when it comes to getting a permitt and driving a car because they understand how throttle and speed work.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:29 AM
HCF Member

crud i thought she was talking about an eighteen year old kid. DOH[:@]. Neglect what ive said before susie. Go pick up a cheap like pep-boys style little quad or search classified's like cycle trader for some mini's. 50cc should be plenty for yer kid.

My bad [X(]

Eric.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:20 AM

No problem Eric, I appreciate your advice. Thanks BM for catching that. So if a 90 cc goes 25 mph, does a 50 cc go more like 15? I don't think I agree with using it as training for when the kids get driving permits, after all the permit phase is training for when they get licenses, and they wait that long for a reason.

Somebody told me the other day that a dirtbike was safer than an atv. Is that true?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

personally i think dirkbikes are more dangerous. 2 less wheels. The are lighter and do wheelies easier. It's not that hard to realize ATV are a little safer. However they are both dangerous.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:25 PM
HCF Member

No problem Eric, I appreciate your advice. Thanks BM for catching that. So if a 90 cc goes 25 mph, does a 50 cc go more like 15? I don't think I agree with using it as training for when the kids get driving permits, after all the permit phase is training for when they get licenses, and they wait that long for a reason.

Somebody told me the other day that a dirtbike was safer than an atv. Is that true?
uh no a 90cc goes 45? 50 cc will do like 30 jet skis are really really dangerous my friest time rideing on at 18 years old i fell off and i was stuck in water for about half hour trying to get back on no one showed me how. and its hard unless its a newer jetski but jetski your better off giving your kids a casket IN MY OPINION im afraid to ride my jetski now dirt bike ftw A 50CC dirt bike PLEANTY of power for a small child, he cannot go on hills with daddy but he can stay on flat land.

Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 AM

Hey guy, thanks for your continuing advice. I have a question on sort of a different side of this coin. Somebody raised the issue the other day to me of where we would be going to ride. Apparently (I didn't know this) there are some pretty bad problems across the country with people riding their atvs on non-atv paths and doing some pretty severe damage, not to mention making the hikers nervous. I guess a big report just came out from some group that surveyed people who manage hunting and fishing areas, and they felt pretty strongly that this was a problem.

Have any of you experienced this? I hadn't even thought about it. And how do I find out where we would be allowed to ride and where we would not? If there aren't any allowed areas around us that might make our decision a lot easier, I guess.

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2007, 10:51 AM

dirtbikes are safer than atvs. if your turning on a dirtbike and fall youll just plop over and if you fall turning on a quad the only way to go is over and roll. when you decide to get a quad for your kids take them to the dealership and size them up, see what they fit better on. but make sure you get a quad that your kids gonna be able to ride in 6 months or even more. cuz they seem to grow really fast huh. if hes too big for a fifty but too small for a 90 just get the 90 so he can grow into it, besides most atvs have a throttle restriction ( a little screw you screw in or out so the throttle only goes soo far) that way theyre not gonna be doing full speed the first day they get it, haha

Quick Reply: Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?