The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:18 PM
Default RE: Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?

ORIGINAL: mybrokenblinker

At least where I live, you can start riding a jet ski at 16 with a license, or you can wait till you're 18 and ride without one.
That makes more sense to me. I'm just surprised they don't make teenagers get licenses for atv's if they really do go 40 or 50 mph.

Old 09-06-2007, 10:09 PM
HCF Member

Get two. That way, your husband could ride with your kids and make sure they don't do anything dangerous. Kids will behave when they are in sight of their parents, but as soon as they are out of view, will take off like nobodys business.

-Kelleykid

Old 09-07-2007, 08:14 AM
HCF Member

I've ridden ATVs since I was bout 5 I think... I lived on a farm and if I had to feed the cows in the morning, I had to use the ATV to get the feed, for the horses I used it to haul the hay... Ours was not very powerful, but anything that moves can be dangerous... driving a car in my opinion is way more dangerous because there are so many other people on the road. Anyway, my dad taught me from a very young age that driving was very dangerous and was a privilege, and that he would only let me drive it if I was responsible, lol. I was always careful, and never had an accident, just know that there are lots of people in the world, so you can hear the horror stories a lot, but the likelihood is very low that something will happen (if they are responsible kids), anyway that $.02

Old 09-08-2007, 12:06 AM
HCF Member

susan, i race atv's semi-professionally and they are dangerous. Just get him the right protective gear, helmet, boots, googles, gloves, chest protector. And a good bike like a honda 400ex or somthing of that nature. Make sure they dont ride stupid or double ride. If you need to know anything PM me im going to school to be a mechanic for atv's and i work on them alot already.

A gratuitus pic of mine.

and it cost me about 7,000 stock and ive got about 9,000 more put into motor, suspension, so on now.

Eric.

Old 09-09-2007, 10:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Basil

I've ridden ATVs since I was bout 5 I think... I lived on a farm and if I had to feed the cows in the morning, I had to use the ATV to get the feed, for the horses I used it to haul the hay... Ours was not very powerful, but anything that moves can be dangerous... driving a car in my opinion is way more dangerous because there are so many other people on the road. Anyway, my dad taught me from a very young age that driving was very dangerous and was a privilege, and that he would only let me drive it if I was responsible, lol. I was always careful, and never had an accident, just know that there are lots of people in the world, so you can hear the horror stories a lot, but the likelihood is very low that something will happen (if they are responsible kids), anyway that $.02
Wow. was it an adult atv or a kid one that you rode?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:17 PM

ORIGINAL: desert2007

susan, i race atv's semi-professionally and they are dangerous. Just get him the right protective gear, helmet, boots, googles, gloves, chest protector. And a good bike like a honda 400ex or somthing of that nature. Make sure they dont ride stupid or double ride. If you need to know anything PM me im going to school to be a mechanic for atv's and i work on them alot already.
Thanks Eric! Can you tell me a little bit about kid ATVs versus adult ones? Not that we'd be buying a kid one, it's just that I keep hearing about them but no details.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:09 AM
HCF Member

one reason why you may keep hearing about the smaller ones is because everyone and their brother is making small atv's, 200cc's and below. Us in the racing world call them day racers. Because if your kid races them for a day they are usually toast. They are put together with junk parts and to get anything replacement you have to call overseas. Its best to stick with any name brand. Bombardier now known as Can-Am, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and of course, Honda. The reason why there arent many immitators of the larger CC machines is because they just dont sell, when you go with a bike of this size your keeping it for awhile and your possibly going to upgrade it. Where a small quad is going to be grown out of. This is why only a handful of manufacturors create larger machines.

As stated before i would highly suggest getting your kid a 400cc machine. Its fast, but not too fast, nimble, but not too nimble, and highly modable later on in life. They also dont cost much. I would pick up an older (2005 and below) 400EX by honda, or a z400 by suzuki, or a KFX400 by Kawasaki, the z and kfx 400's are almost exactly alike, the only difference is badging and colors. And agian they are all fast, but not too fast you know. I ride a 2004 honda TRX450r and it goes 79 MPH out of the crate, the 400's dont do that thank god. And on the plus side most all of them have reverse, and are very user friendly when compared to the explosive power of the 450's.

Eric.

Old 09-10-2007, 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

Short answer..... No child under 10 should ever be on an ATV. Ideally they should be at least 12-14. But 10 years old would be a good ballpark age.
I agree. However - kids should be kids. They often do stuff that could hurt them. The only thing you can do to prevent this is to buy them a gaming concole and lock them up in your house. Surely, you understand that it's not a wise choice. I think any sort of outdoors activities are a must - especially for kids. Just make sure that the kid knows how to operate said ATV properly and is under adult's supervision. But then again - it's not like he'll be riding on public roads

Old 09-10-2007, 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: desert2007

one reason why you may keep hearing about the smaller ones is because everyone and their brother is making small atv's, 200cc's and below. Us in the racing world call them day racers. Because if your kid races them for a day they are usually toast. They are put together with junk parts and to get anything replacement you have to call overseas. Its best to stick with any name brand. Bombardier now known as Can-Am, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha, and of course, Honda. The reason why there arent many immitators of the larger CC machines is because they just dont sell, when you go with a bike of this size your keeping it for awhile and your possibly going to upgrade it. Where a small quad is going to be grown out of. This is why only a handful of manufacturors create larger machines.

As stated before i would highly suggest getting your kid a 400cc machine. Its fast, but not too fast, nimble, but not too nimble, and highly modable later on in life. They also dont cost much. I would pick up an older (2005 and below) 400EX by honda, or a z400 by suzuki, or a KFX400 by Kawasaki, the z and kfx 400's are almost exactly alike, the only difference is badging and colors. And agian they are all fast, but not too fast you know. I ride a 2004 honda TRX450r and it goes 79 MPH out of the crate, the 400's dont do that thank god. And on the plus side most all of them have reverse, and are very user friendly when compared to the explosive power of the 450's.

Eric.
Thanks Eric. That sheds some light on what I've been hearing, actually. But what is "fast but not too fast"?

Old 09-10-2007, 07:48 AM

ORIGINAL: andryuha

I agree. However - kids should be kids. They often do stuff that could hurt them. The only thing you can do to prevent this is to buy them a gaming concole and lock them up in your house. Surely, you understand that it's not a wise choice. I think any sort of outdoors activities are a must - especially for kids. Just make sure that the kid knows how to operate said ATV properly and is under adult's supervision. But then again - it's not like he'll be riding on public roads
I think you make good points both ways. Yes, kids will be kids, and you don't want to keep them under lock and key 24/7 or have them sitting inside playing video games all day. But on the other hand, while (as some people have pointed out) it's not a car, they don't let you drive a car or a motorcycle or even a jetski until you're much older, and there are plenty of things to do outdoors without potentially dangerous machinery.

By the way, how are they for the environment? And where can you use them? We have some public forest near our house but I don't know if they allow ATVs or what kind of damage they do. I can't imagine that they'd be good for the trails... do they leave much pollution behind though?

Quick Reply: Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?