The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:51 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?

ORIGINAL: windcalmer

Short answer..... No child under 10 should ever be on an ATV. Ideally they should be at least 12-14. But 10 years old would be a good ballpark age.
I don't see a problem with taking younger kids on rides with an adult driving. It might actually be good since it will teach the kid proper conduct and technique.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:04 PM
HCF Member

That is like saying that driving a car with four year old on your lap is O.K. Now I am all for teaching children about everything you can, but the risk of injury is not worth it. There are so many other things that developmentally would benefit a child far more then riding a ATV. Besides that fact that riding an ATV does very little for fine motor skill development. And as fine motor skill development leads to high higher self esteem later in life, cutting with scissors, or writing practice would be better. Do you see my point?

And I am not just trying to pick a fight, I am speaking as someone that has been in the early childhood education world for over 20 years. So please don't think I being an *** or something. LOL

Old 08-24-2007, 09:25 PM
HCF Member

i say you oughta get a jetski. nothin like a fun day at the beach, to me those are safer, id rather hit the water then the dirt.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

While I dont think they are really any safer, water is way more forgiving than dirt. LOL Also, swimming is a really great thing for kids to learn to love early on.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:54 PM
HCF Member

+1...by a jetski. a three seater. i have one and its a good family activity. plus if you buy an odyssey like you were talking about in ur other thread u could pull the jetski with it.

conclusion

buy odyssey + 3 seater jetski and youll be set for your family lol

Old 08-26-2007, 08:30 PM
HCF Member

Well my parents bought me a suzuki LT80 when I was 4.5 as well as my sister. I eventually started riding a blaster, then when I turned 15 I custom built my own banshee and I had it up til I was about to turn 19. They can be safe but I am going to go out and contradict everyone else start them early and they will be much more advance riders when they are older. However make sure when they ride your watch them at all times.

Old 08-31-2007, 09:36 AM

Wow, a lot of good opinions here. I had a chance to look around a bit this week and I found the WORST two stories. Apparently last Friday a three year old in North Carolina was killed riding with his grandpa, and then on Tuesday a six year old little girl and her sixteen year old aunt were killed in Wisconsin. I can't even imagine!

But the jetski thing just brought something to mind. Don't you need a license to use a jetski? Why don't they make you get a license to use an ATV?

Old 08-31-2007, 10:58 AM

i dont think you have to have a license for atvs or jetskis however at least in CO you have to be 16 otherwise you get a hefty fine

Old 08-31-2007, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Roadkillboy0

i dont think you have to have a license for atvs or jetskis however at least in CO you have to be 16 otherwise you get a hefty fine
You have to be 16 for jet skiing or riding an atv? I just googled "jet ski license" and it looks like you do need one... several of the top things that came up were instructions on how or why you need one. What I don't understand is, why for a jet ski but not for an atv? I don't remember seeing many articles about kids being killed in jet ski accidents.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 PM
HCF Member

At least where I live, you can start riding a jet ski at 16 with a license, or you can wait till you're 18 and ride without one.

Quick Reply: Are ATV's safe for kids/teenagers?