The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

always use jack stands AND backup!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 09:13 AM
Ben
Default RE: always use jack stands AND backup!!

Wow i've read a few threads like this on various forums, scary stuff. I always use jackstands as well, but still get scared when fully under the car .

Old 10-03-2007, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

Wow, thought you were gone for good. Good to see you around man.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:36 AM
HCF Member

i guess i'm really lucky... when i need to get stuff done under the car, i go to my friends shop, who has hydralic lifts...

Old 10-03-2007, 10:36 AM

even with hydraulic lifts, its a good idea to shake the car alot and make sure the saftey locks are working.

Old 10-03-2007, 10:44 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: civicexracer

even with hydraulic lifts, its a good idea to shake the car alot and make sure the saftey locks are working.
Thats just common sense, you have to make sure that the car is well seated on the hoist before raising it.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote from the Owner:
Quote:[/align] Dropped my Elise off to the local Goodyear shop to have new F1G3s installed. My Father-in-law is the service manager and has been for 10 years. He is out on medical leave, but he met me at the shop this morning, because he understands the uniqueness of the car.

I handed them the tire tools and opened the Owner's Manual to the jacking instructions so they would be clear. We went over all the instructions and they assured me I was in good hands.

We (my father-in-law and I both left)

1 hour later I get a call about the "accident" and that I needed to come down...

WTF!

So this is what I found... [/align]

Quote:[/align] It get's better. They said they read the manual, but not to the point where it spoke about the 4-point lift. After the crash, they continued reading. Yipee for me.

The damage is inclusive of the rear clam, front clam, underneath the driver's door, and a nice puncture through the bottom diffuser around the passenger seat area.

When I was there, they had a wrecker attached with a winch to the front end so it wouldn't come crashing down. After it cleared the lift, the front end swung around and crashed into some tool chests.

I'm mostly worried about the rear structure... the puncture underneath and the loss of value of the car (it's paid off free and clear)!

I've already called Dimmit in Clearwater and they are expecting the vehicle. Goodyear has filed the claim with their carrier and has promised to fully cover the repair. Luckly my FIL was there as a witness.

What else do I need to be concerned about in the repair/insurance claim? Diminished value, loss of use (not my primary vehicle), etc. [/align] More pictures here:
http://www.my914-6.com/crap/
**** happens..... always assume the worst...

Old 10-03-2007, 12:55 PM
Cat Fuсker

actually at a shop two blocks away they had an F350 dually on the lift and it was the cable type lift...it came down with enough force to shave the locking mechanism off on the posts...fortunately noone was hurt

Old 10-03-2007, 04:18 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Marty

I use the same method everytime, jackstands, 2 hydrolic jacks on jacking points, wheels and tires, and if high enough ramps. I had a freind die in 98 when a car dropped on him.
where do you put the wheels?

Old 10-03-2007, 05:03 PM
HCF Member

I too always try to give the car a good shake after I put it on stands, and it mostly don't move at all... I usually put it on four stands (2 in the front under the metal bar that runs from one side to the other? I hope this is fine..) and 2 in the back, somewhere solid.. But right now I have only one in the back, two in the front, and one under the engine! But the car have been like that for days... weeks.. I think it's solid enough!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:34 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: BillyB98

ORIGINAL: Mr Mobsta Man

Ok, now I'm scared of getting under my car again.I thought jackstands were like 99% safe, I guess not. So what is the safest way to do it then? Because I would like to know before I put my header and exhaust on now.
They are 99% safe its the 1%that'll kill you.
lol, they are kind of like a condom.

Quick Reply: always use jack stands AND backup!!