The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

99 integra scam?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 03:35 PM
Default 99 integra scam?

first off, i just signed up for HCF today, but ive read threads on this forum for a long time.

secondly, ive been searching craigslist for a car recently (specifically a civic) and i ran across this:
fresno.craigslist.org/car/454202467
in case it gets deleted, its a 99 acura integra that has only 8k miles on it and the guy was offering 2900 dollars as an asking price. never been driven in the rain, painted engine bay, everything.

curious as to the low price, i emailed the guy and asked him why it was so low, mainly out of curiosity rather than wanting to buy it. (Theres gotta be something wrong, right?)
i got an email response, and the guy even gave me a link to more pics!
http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/markrauh123/
heres what the rest of the email said:

Hello,

The car is located in Livonia, MI and it is in perfect condition, with no need for additional repairs, no scratches, dings, special marks whatsoever. It has 8K miles and the VIN # is : JH4DC2395XS004296. It has a clear title ready to be signed and notarized on your name. I have the pictures hosted on the net and you can see them at :

http://s223.photobucket.com/albums/dd181/markrauh123/

The price is $2,900 including shipping costs anywhere in the continental US. There are no other costs regarding this transaction.
The transaction will be closed only through a 3rd party and this way we will both be protected. My time is limited due to my job in the army so I decided to use a service from Worldpay. To begin the transaction I'll need your full name and shipping address, I will forward the details of our transaction to Worldpay and then you will receive an invoice from them. The car will be shipped insured to your location with DAS and you will have 5 days for inspection.

upon researching worldpay, i discovered its a branch of the bank of scotland...interesting...
besides, dont most people use paypal anyway?
and why post on fresno craigslist when you live in MI?
and why does he want my name and address right away?

so, it definately smells like one of those scams, like the money transfer scams in africa.
so what do you guys think?

Old 10-20-2007, 03:39 PM
Cat Fuсker
Default RE: 99 integra scam?

a scam, however it'd be interesting to run a carfax on hta vin...

Old 10-20-2007, 03:44 PM
HCF Member

i just came across that and i am getting a video of it. If everything checks out i may drive there and pay for it with cash and have it shipped here

Old 10-20-2007, 03:52 PM

i would also be interested in a carfax report.. not interested enough to pay the money.

also, it just got deleted- so, i dont know if he found someone to sell it to or what.
i would also like to see a video, 95civic1.6l. did you email him or something?

Old 10-20-2007, 06:10 PM
HCF Member

hahahhah..warren..your car just got jacked by 95civic...looks like we have to find a new one.

Old 10-20-2007, 09:16 PM
HCF Member

yea i emailed him. I told him i am very interested im not going to get scammed f that. Im going to see if he will send me a video. Let me pay through pay pal or ill drive there to see it and test drive it. If everything is good ill have him ship it to me. If this doesn't go well im going to tell craigs list. I think i may tell him to car fax it for me. lol. and send me the link.

My civic isn't going to last long so i need a new car. If i can't get one looks like im not going to college anymore. :-(

Old 10-21-2007, 10:52 AM

just so you know , i saw a similiar ad in Redding craigslist only the car was 99 jetta for 3 grand , same thing SUPER good condition , and the reason for the low price was THE EXACT SAME "im in the military , car located somewhere else blah blah blah " crap .

so its definatley a scam

Old 10-21-2007, 12:35 PM

UPDATE!!!

ok, so i emailed him back only asking "whats your address?"
because most of these people dont have a real address. what did he reply?

Hello again,

The transaction will be closed only through WorldPay and this way we will both be protected. My current job doesn't allow me to do otherwise. I have way to little free time to handle home visits and my phone calls are very limited. As I said before the car is as described and you will be able to inspect the car before a final decision.
Again all I need to proceed with this is your full name and shipping address. If you are no longer interested let me know as I have several other potential buyers.

huh.
all i asked was his address, and he says all the same stuff that he did in his LAST email!
kinda want to play the guy along for the fun of it, but idk bout that. lol.
what should i reply?

Old 10-21-2007, 12:38 PM

give him the name of a local cop and give the address as the local police station ,"because i spend most of my time there "..lol.

Old 10-21-2007, 12:44 PM

thats a good idea, actually...

hmmm ill get that info and respond to him. i dont want it to go TOO far, however. lol.

Quick Reply: 99 integra scam?