The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

4 Banger Cars FTW in the end?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2007, 07:25 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: 4 Banger Cars FTW in the end?

Not gonna happen

Old 12-21-2007, 08:41 AM
HCF Member

theres not too many american cars that come with v8's anymore,the only ones i can think of off hand is caddys, town car ,vette ,caprice , mustang, charger, most v8's are in trucks & suv's

Old 12-21-2007, 11:19 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Mad7s

Anyways, no one else seems to care about any of this and there's over a billion people itching to live American lives so as long as they don't regulate motorcycles, I say burn away. I gottaclean my Road Warrior gear crew. Late!
They don't have to regulate motorcycle. Most motorcycles do at least 30MPG. How much damage can you possibly do with a 600cc-1100cc engine.

Old 12-21-2007, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

This is the stupidest thing I have ever heard. I understand that SUV's don't need big v8's. But, HOW THE HELL can a work truck do work with a 4 or 6 cyl? People who buy the Super duty trucks, actually don't mind the gas mileage. Because honestly, how can you pull a giant trailer, or haul machinery in a truck with a 4 cyl, and not have to keep the gas pedal floored to stay on the speed limit on the highway. I say take away the v8's in SUV's and vans, and some cars, but leave the v8 trucks (and some muscle cars) alone. Honestly, WTF? If all else fails in 2020, go buy a tacoma, tundra, or a ridgeline. Those won't be affected. Toyota and hondasell enough efficient cars to leave their 15 mpg trucks alone.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:40 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: AgentofDarkness

ORIGINAL: Marty
And how many I4's and I/V6's do you see running 4 second 1/4 miles?
Those are not street cars, they get like 6gal/mile. I don't understand how you can apply a 30MPG law on trucks. Maybe they will all go diesel but even then a big V8 diesel probably doesn't get 30mpg.

Agent the law is for SUV's and cars.. trucks dont apply because they are vital to the economy when it comes to labor logistics.

Old 12-22-2007, 02:53 PM
HCF Member

i disagree with this and i doubt theyll do it

Old 12-22-2007, 09:37 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: Remmy

Agent the law is for SUV's and cars.. trucks dont apply because they are vital to the economy when it comes to labor logistics.
I was under the impression that the law include trucks. In that case, I think that manufactures won't have too tough of a time restricting. If you really look at it, most of the people with V8 powered SUVs don't need that much power. They just drive the cars around, they aren't putting the V8 to any use. Firing all 8 cylinders is really just wasting gas. With that bieng said, I still don't agree with the law. If I want to buy a V8 car there is no reason why I shouldn't be able to. I don't really buy into climate change. This planet has been around for millions of years and compartivly we have been around for a couple seconds, we can't have that much of an impact. Even if I did buy into climate change, this isn't the best way to fix the problem. Mandating that all cars must have 30MPG is not going to fix the problem, its a temporary band aid. The real fix is moving away from fossil fuels to energy that does not pollute the enviroment. If congress wanted to fix this problem, they would put money towards hydrogen fuel cell research. Instead of making all cars 30MPG by 2020, they should make hydrogen cars a viable alternative to gasoline by 2020. Of course, the oil companies (and thier respective lobbies) don't like this idea. I've been a strong advocate of the hydrogen fuel cell since I heard of the idea. Honda actually has a car (don't remember the name) that runs on hydrogen. I believe it will be released in select markets (like CA) in the near future. Hummer even came out with a Hydrogen powered H3 concept a couple years back. Its not that this technology is decades away, its only a few years away if we make an effort to develop it.

Old 12-23-2007, 07:48 AM
HCF Member

While I don't agree with everything you posted, Agent, you do at least pose some intelligent arguments and offer alternative solutions.

I lean more towards developing efficient and environmentally-safe batteries to use in electric vehicles. We should be re-charging them through solar and wind power. Then we'd have zero need for fossil fuels and zero emissions. We'd just need to find a clean and renewable source for lubricants.

As for 4cyl vehicles being able to tow...it's possible. I would think they'd be diesel or similar though, with our current level of technology. I don't know how much the Toyota HiLux tows, but it's diesel I4 can yield 30MPG. The turbo-diesel I5 in the early Sprinter 2500s tows at least 5000lb and can get 25MPG. My buddy loaded his Sprinter RV to within 500lb of it's GVWR, and he still got over 20MPG at 70+ MPH.

Down-sizing the motors or reducing the number of cylinders isn't always the answer. Making the vehicles use their power more efficiently and wisely would be a possibleanswer however. An empty Dodge Hemi pickup rarely requires all300+ HP to cruise or smoothly accelerate down the road at anything near the speed limit. MDC technology makessome sense in an application like this, if it can be implemented affordably and reliably. Another trick is to get drivers to refrain from using the Hemi power unless they absolutely need it.

Technology hasn't alwaysimproved efficiency though. My '95 MPI 2.5L 4cyl 5spd Wrangler gets worse mileageon 31s (12-20MPG)than my '78 1bbl-carbed 4.2L I6 3spd CJ7 did on 33s (15-20MPG). Neither SWB Jeep is safe for towing over 2000lb onroad, but that's due more to wheelbase, GAWR,and braking than power. My '86 2.8L V6 Pontiac got almost twice the mileage (20-26MPG)that my newer Wrangler does.

Smaller engines with fewer cylinders aren't always more miserly either. My mom and my friends even get similar mileage in gas V8 Expeditions and Navigators (11-19MPG). There are Caddy Northstar V8s, 340HP Chrysler Hemi MDC V8s, and HiPo ChevyV6/V8 enginesthat can get 30MPG or close in the right vehicles. Even the HiPo V6 Nissan Altima SE can manage close to 30MPG, and it puts out close to 250HP. I don't think most people truly need that kind of power on the street, even when towing. Military turbo-diesel 5-tons only put out about 150HP, and they'll tow WAY more than most pick-ups.

Now imagine an engine similar to the 150HP Sprinter turbo-diesel I5 in a lighter, manny-tranny Ram 2500 with a Dana 70 axle, stability-control, electronic brake-controller,and a weight-distributing hitch. It'd likely tow over 10,000lb easily enough, and manage close to 30MPG when unladen. Who really needs to be towing over 10,000lb at well over the speed limit with a pick-up or SUV?

My opinion is...If people really want to go fast, they should be responsible enough to do it with something that can manage it efficiently and safely. A gas 460ci F250 towing 10,000lb probably shouldn't be trying to exceed 75MPH on a highwaygrade.

A 400-750cc sportbike can get over 50mpg and exceed 150MPH. They out-accelerate almost any car legal to beon the road too.I don't see how a responsible person could justify racing their street-legal gas 1-ton pick-up against a stock GSX-R 750. It's just a waste of power and fuel, and the chances of winning are stacked against the truck. HiPo trucks like the 454SS or the Cyclone/Typhoon aren't even capable of handling a decent load for work. Why evenbother getting a truck? A car with the same powertrain will usually be faster, better-handling, and more efficient. Compare theHemitrucks/SUVsto the Charger Hemis.

A Civic LX can exceed 100MPH easily enough, and has no problem topping 30MPG when driven and maintained properly. An EX with VTEC has even more power, while giving up little in economy. If people want to go fast on the track, or quick off the light,these are more responsible kinds of choices.

Old 12-23-2007, 08:44 AM
HCF Member

Straight 6 diesels has lot more power and torque then a V8 gasser and gets better MPG.

Problem solve for work truck

Old 12-23-2007, 10:43 AM
HCF Member

factory turbo's will be the result of this

Quick Reply: 4 Banger Cars FTW in the end?