The Lounge This section is for the most off topic of OT posts. although the lounge is moderated, whoring is permitted.

24 Year old shot dead by police officer

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned
Default 24 Year old shot dead by police officer

First off I am going to say this kind of stuff NEVER happens where I live. I live about 5 miles away from the town this happend in and it is a shock.
This is the first shooting that I can remember happening around where I live, and I have lived here for 12 years.

Its also crazy to think that I used to hang out at the place he got shot at, every day.
I did not know the guy, but I have seen him from somewhere.

My ex girlfriend was there and watched the whole thing unfold as the officer pumped 4 rounds into the guys chest for NO reason.

They also forget to note in the article that 2 rounds went into the apartment complex and into a little boys room.

Here is the article.

KASOTA, Minn. -- The father of a man fatally shot by a Le Sueur county deputy says he will hire an attorney and "fight for justice" in his son's name.

Mark Heilman talked with KARE 11's Scott Seroka Tuesday afternoon, sharing his reaction to the death of his son 24 year old Tyler Heilman. Mark Heilman says there was no reason at all for 37-year-old Le Sueur County Sheriff's Deputy Todd Waldron to shoot his son following an altercation.

"I think he lost it because he was getting beat up by a kid and when it did get broke up he went for his gun," Mark Heilman said. "If Tyler would have had a weapon or something I guess you could say there was justification, (but) he was standing there in a swimming suit and nothing else. No get down on the ground, no nothing, no freeze, no nothing, I'm a police office you will get down on the ground, no nothing, he just got out his gun and shot him dead."

Waldron is on paid administrative leave after shooting and killing Heilman Monday night in the small town of Kasota, which is about a half hour north of Mankato.

At a news conference Tuesday afternoon, Investigators said the incident started around 3:30 p.m. Monday when Waldron noticed a car speeding and driving eradically. Waldron followed the vehicle in an unmarked squad car, which authorities say was equipped with sirens.

Investigators say the pursuit ended 20 minutes later, when Deputy Waldron followed the driver into the Valley View Apartment parking lot in Kasota. At that time, an altercation occured between Deputy Waldron and the driver, who has been identified as 24-year-old Tyler Heilman.

Witnesses say Heilman was then shot four times in the chest. Someone on the scene performed CPR for 15 minutes, but was unable to save him.

Investigators say Deputy Waldron did have his sheriff's badge visible on his belt, but it's not clear if he identified himself as an officer.

Heilman, described as a stay-at-home father, had been swimming at Lake Emily and was wearing nothing but his swim trunks. He is the father of a three year old son Hayden. Heilman's driving record is lengthy, with nine violations since 2002 ranging from open bottle and giving false information to an officer, to driving after his license was withdrawn.

RIP

Old 07-21-2009, 02:25 PM
Banned
Old 07-21-2009, 03:46 PM
HCF Member

Sorry but I don't completely believe that is all that happened. The media loves to swing stories one way. There might be more than they are telling us. He might have been doing something that the officer saw as a threat. We had a case here in Balitmore a 15 year stole a car and ran from the police. As he was running he pulled a gun and shot at the police who then proceded to drop him. A bystander then picked up the gun and threw it away. And of course the entire neighborhood said that the punk didn't have a gun and was shot for "no reason". A witness did come forward a time later and did say the kid shoot at the officer. So I don't always completely believe these shooting stories. Theres a reason he shot, they officer is a 10 year veteren, hes expericened and isn't a rookie. But here comes a million dollar lawsuit.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:57 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

^exactly.. There is always more to the story and media loves to get everyone up in arms about stuff...

The fact of the matter is, the kid fought an officer of the law. Once the punches are thrown, the whole "get down on the ground" thing goes out the window. Police officers are trained to protect the innocent, including themselves.

With a "lengthy driving record" as mentioned, he was more than likely doing something stupid, and got cocky about it when pulled over.

I'm sorry, but until both sides of the story are released, I'm with the veteran cop on this one.

Old 07-22-2009, 07:41 AM
Banned

I disagree with both of you completely.

The officer didn't note himself as a cop or anything. The guy noticed the officers badge when he pinned him to the ground. He didn't notice it before. After he noticed it he stood up and put his hands up. Note the guy was ONLY wearing swim trunks. No shirt, no shoes, just trunks.
The officer pulled out his gun and the guy ran. The officer shot at him and he ran behind the apartment building where he collapsed.
They searched him and his car and found NO WEAPONS
His last words were, "Im done man, im done. What the hell" then he died.

Many witnesses including my ex girlfriend was there and watched it happen say the officer got up and was pissed because he was loosing a fight to a 24 year old.

The cop that shot him is the same cop that pulled me over a while back because he thought I was distributing drugs. He was a complete ******* to me.

Edit: the officer was wearing plane clothes. The guy didnt know he was a cop.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Originally Posted by 96 Civic DX
I disagree with both of you completely.

The officer didn't note himself as a cop or anything. The guy noticed the officers badge when he pinned him to the ground. He didn't notice it before. After he noticed it he stood up and put his hands up. Note the guy was ONLY wearing swim trunks. No shirt, no shoes, just trunks.
What he was wearing doesn't mean a thing, it is your actions that cause an officer to react.

The officer pulled out his gun and the guy ran. The officer shot at him and he ran behind the apartment building where he collapsed.
So not only did he fight a cop, but then he ran too...

any witnesses including my ex girlfriend was there and watched it happen say the officer got up and was pissed because he was loosing a fight to a 24 year old.
He was pissed because he had a man try to fight him. Officers are trained to react to their surroundings and situations. Again, the guy fought then ran, cop did nothing wrong.

The cop that shot him is the same cop that pulled me over a while back because he thought I was distributing drugs. He was a complete ******* to me.
Ahh, so now we're too the root of the situation. Your opinion is 100% biased and not based on any fact what so ever. Therefore, it is invalid.

Edit: the officer was wearing plane clothes. The guy didnt know he was a cop.
Article says he was in an unmarked police car and had his badge clipped to his belt, not sure what else you'd need to see...

If the guy got out to fight the cop, chances are he didn't have time to react and dig out his credentials. Moot point anyway, since the main one was clipped to his belt as mentioned above.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The 24 yr old was definitely no angel. The record indicates that he was a real troublemaker and that he also made a really bad decision to get into a physical confrontation with an officer. There was clear justification for arresting and jailing this punk. I need more information, however, to know whether the use of deadly force by the officer was justified, especially if the young man was fleeing at the time he was shot. I am not saying that the officer was wrong, just that I would like more details to make a judgment.

Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Exactly^!

Btw, welcome back RonJ, haven't seen you around here in a while

Old 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM
Recognized HCF Member

Originally Posted by Forty04
...welcome back RonJ, haven't seen you around here in a while
Been around. Just spend nearly all of my time hidden in the tech section.

Old 07-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Cat Fuсker

I think the OP needs to get his head out of his *** and shut the hell up. We've already heard enough of your "ways" (including your views on stolen property) of going through life and seriously, if that was a story about you I wouldn't be very surprised nor would I be upset at all.

Quick Reply: 24 Year old shot dead by police officer