Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

wondow problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 07:21 AM
HCF Member
Default wondow problems

so when i roll my windows up and down in my 98 civic ex. its really slow and it almost seems like it wants to stop half way through and sometime it acutally does stop and i have to raise my window up and then back to go all the way down. almost like it comes off track?? im not sure and its been doing it for about a year now. its very slow and i would like it to be speedy. i dont think the motor has gone bad bc its been alittle over a year now this has been going on. all electric

Old 11-17-2008, 07:39 AM
Recognized HCF Member

Roll the windows all the way down, and then spray some Silicone lubricant (compatible with rubber) into the side rubber channels where the windows slide. Roll the windows up and down several times to see whether they operate more smoothly and quickly.

Old 11-17-2008, 07:51 AM
HCF Member

my windows are tinted would that hurt it and where could i pick this up at? walmart or a autoparts store?

Old 11-17-2008, 07:59 AM
Recognized HCF Member

It should not hurt your window tint. By the way, a little of this type of lubricant goes a long way. You can purchase a spray can from Walmart.

Old 11-17-2008, 08:04 AM
HCF Member

so spray on the inside part of the window? do i just spray all the away across on my inner window or just on the sides?..not too sure where my rails are that my window slides on

Old 11-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Recognized HCF Member

The two rubber channels you need to lubricate are marked in red (see diagram). Spray the lubricant into the channels where indicated by arrows. The lubricant will naturally run down, coating the entire length of the rubber channel where the window slides.

Name:  picture_1707.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  83.0 KB

Old 12-08-2008, 06:29 AM
HCF Member

ya i have the same problem.
thanks RonJ

going to the store today =D

Old 12-08-2008, 09:13 AM
HCF Member

I had the same problem and confirms this works, just make sure at first you apply it every day, then after a week, do it once a week. This will ensure you window will stay smooth.

And FYI, keep the can IN your car, so you don't end up like me with your passenger window stuck in fully down because of some moron friend, while you are on the highway doing 120KM/h

Old 12-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Default kool

iv had same problem and one night it got stuck all the way down an had to tape a bag over window incase it rained.

im defo guna give this a try hopefully it works good.
thanks.

Old 12-14-2008, 10:20 AM
HCF Member

all you have to do is take off the inside door panel and play with the window balancer arm, whatever it's called. It runs horizontal and it's like right in the middle of the door, a little to the left. There's a bolt there you can adjust.

When my window started coming out near the top I loosened that bolt, pushed it down as far as it would go, held it there and rolled window up and down. Worked fine.

You can also adjust the front channel arm. If it's too tight against the window it can slow it down, but too loose and the window may come off track when it goes down and there may be too much play for the window.

and when I tried the spray lube inside those channels the stupid window would squeak at certain spots. It went away eventually, but it was annoying.

Quick Reply: wondow problems