Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Wheelskins- Steering Wheel Cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 08:56 PM
HCF Member
Default Wheelskins- Steering Wheel Cover

This is just a little review for anyone that might be interested in this Wheelskins cover. My steering wheel is wearing down and fading. I'd always gotten the slip on ones at o'reillys or target. They would always wear out within a year. I've been searching around and found these wheelskins. The company is driving distance away from me so i decided to go there and look at the configurations and colors they got. I picked up the original leather in black 2 days ago and installed it. I got mines for $50 but you can find it online for $10 cheaper. Check out their site on styles they have. Wheelskins - The World's Finest Genuine Leather Motoring Accessories, Steering Wheel Covers, Driving Gloves and Shift Boots . This is a good company with good customer service. I requested two sets of red threads and 2 sets of black thread in case i didn't like the red thread and they gave it to me. No questions asked.

This is a stitch on wheel cover. I did the baseball style stitching (instructions not included in the box, but the instructions for normal stitching is included. Although, i personally think baseball style looks better), which needs 2 thread kit using 2 needles and 1 thread. This took me about 1 1/2 -2 hours. Normal stitching takes about 1 hour. Warning: tape up you fingers or wear gloves. You will need to pull on the thread to tighten up every stitch. If not your hands WILL hurt for days.

I've been driving around for 3 days now and it was better than i expected. The leather wrapped around the steering wheel extremely tight. The cover feels good in my hands and did not slip at all. The cover forms to the design and gripping as the stock steering wheel. The cover looks good and in a way looks like it came factory in the car. I've been reading reviews online and as far as quality goes they have lasted for years for many people. People even buy them again and again.

Sorry for sounding like an advertisement. This is more of a review that i think some people might be interested in. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Here comes the pics

Name:  IMAG0067.jpg
Views: 571
Size:  53.5 KB

Name:  IMAG0068.jpg
Views: 1356
Size:  59.3 KB

Name:  IMAG0069.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  43.2 KB

Last edited by sfazngiants; 07-22-2011 at 08:59 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 01:07 PM
HCF Member

I put a similar cover on a Porsche 914 my friends and I used to work on in high school. They are pretty good, although you have to be a bit forceful but careful at the same time when installing it otherwise it will rip. They are made a bit small so they don't move. Stitching them on are a strain on your hands, I agree.

I also have a pair of wheelskins driving gloves. I love them.

Looks good sfazgiants, I'm wondering if I'd like to get one too now.

Last edited by TheStig; 08-07-2011 at 01:10 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:09 PM

Nice writeup. I wish more people would review products.

Looks very good, and actually looks more like stock than you think. The Si steering wheels looked almost identical because they came wrapped in leather.

Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 PM
HCF Member

Honda made some that looks very similar . so i wouldn't be surprise if the ones on the si looks exactly the same

Old 08-09-2011, 10:25 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

Random question, but did the Wheelskin add any "bulk" to the steering wheel? I like the wheel in my wrx but after driving an STi with the thicker wheel I've kinda been craving that feeling.

Is it just typical leather thickness or is it bolstered/padded in any way?

Also, great product review!

Old 08-09-2011, 09:55 PM
HCF Member

no padding to it. does not add much bulk either.

Old 08-10-2011, 03:58 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

bummer.. guess I'll have to buy a BMW