Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

whats the deal with neons?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 09:05 PM
Default whats the deal with neons?

i was just wondering, i always thought that neon (or L.E.D.) undercar kits looked awesome on cars when colors coincide correctly. i have a couple of friends that have kits on their cars, some work well with the car exterior, some don't. but i was just wondering what some of your guy's opinions are on neons. are they too rice now these days to use. i know that in my state they are legal as long as they aren't red, so thats no problem. but just shoot me some opinions, i can't wait to hear what you say!

Old 06-15-2007, 09:18 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: whats the deal with neons?

i dont think they are rice if the tubes are hidden and NOT VISIBLE!!! but, neons...i wouldnt get them. get led's and honestly, i suggest the flex tubes from www.oznium.comwont break, flexible,and are waterproof also. thats the only way to go in my opinion. the only color that is illegal is red? thats weird it should be blue for sure.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:22 PM

yeah, i ended up going through the kansas legislature rules on car codes and regulations and it said any shade of red is illegal, and the tubes cannot be visible. other than that they are legal. i figured blue would be out too, but guess not. why are the leds so much better than neons? is it just cause they can be flexed?

Old 06-15-2007, 09:41 PM
HCF Member

Last alot longer and are more versatile compared to neons. Check out oznium.com and you'll figure it out for yourself.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:45 PM

so i took a look at the flexible LED strips and they look pretty tight. are they hard to install at all and do you have any advice about them? and do i need to go ahead and buy an switch along with them, since it doesn't seem to say anything about a switch. what kind of equipment would i need to install them correctly so that i could turn them on and off when wanted?

Old 06-15-2007, 10:00 PM
HCF Member

To add to that why LEDs are better, they only draw milliamps of power. That means you can run like hundreds and they will barly drain your battery, like at all. Besides neon tubes are prone to shattering also, and if one part breaks the whole tube is out. As far as mounting them I would say some screws and some zip ties, but maybe someone else might have some better advice then me.

Old 06-16-2007, 09:47 AM
Super Cereal Admin

LEDs are better because they're close to indestructable. I had a minor accident last summer where the front of the car was actually sitting on the tube until I moved the car. Thelights still worked; only the plastic housing was broken. I'd say definitely go for LEDs. Also, they're directional, so you can point the tubes wherever you want the light to go, meaning you have more mounting options.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:05 PM
HCF Member

Your gonna need some wiring and some switches if you want to be able to turn off/on your leds. Thats unless you wire them right into exisiting power/ground such as the dome lights.

Old 06-16-2007, 02:04 PM
Recognized HCF Member

when i first had my car i had white neons on my car and lets just say with being lowered i looked under the car one day and saw that one tube was half gone. I was getting ready to toss them anyways

Old 06-18-2007, 09:25 PM
HCF Member

i think they look really sweet if done right. but defintly + 1 for keeping everything clean and the bulbs hidden. im all about that, cuz nothing beats a clean install

Quick Reply: whats the deal with neons?