Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

what kind of paint to use on carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
Default what kind of paint to use on carbon fiber

I know there's a DIY paint section, but there's about 4 messages there, and I'm assuming if I post there, no one's ever gonna reply to it. I'm just curious if there's a better paint for carbon fiber than spray paint. I have one small part that needs done, and I'd rather put on a nice thick coat, preferrably brushed on, that won't chip off as easy as spray paint. any suggestions?

Old 10-17-2006, 09:51 PM
Default RE: what kind of paint to use on carbon fiber

why would you want to paint it? anywho any automotive paint would work, you could spray bomb it but that is sick. and once you paint it there is no turning back. i would go to a body shop and have them color match it to my car so it will hold up and look nice for years to come.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
HCF Member

wouldnt the paint add weight?? i know its just a small part, but if you were painting say, a hood, wouldnt the paint add like, 2lbs? just wondering.

and im with ef4life....carbon fibre looks so nice...why paint it?

Old 10-17-2006, 10:13 PM

ORIGINAL: dentinger

wouldnt the paint add weight?? i know its just a small part, but if you were painting say, a hood, wouldnt the paint add like, 2lbs? just wondering.

paint does add weight, amercian airlines polishies there planes because over the entire cousrse the the aircrafts service life, the weight causes the plane to use less fuel, so they save money, and they will save enough to cover the entire cost of the aircraft.

northwest airlines had all there aircraft stripped of the red paint and painted grey because grey pant uses less pigment and weighs less than red, so they save i think like 10,000,000 a year in fuel costs.

but paint on a car would only be about a gallon total 2 max so about 10 pounds for the whole car.

Old 10-17-2006, 10:31 PM
HCF Member

i got my entire car sprayed with 3/4 of a gallon
and why do you want to paint carbon fiber if its real that **** is expensive

Old 10-18-2006, 10:34 AM

it's not acctually a car part, it's something on a bicycle, the whole thing weighs 18 pounds so it shouldn't be that big of a problem. ha, sorry for abusing you guys, I just assumed if anyone would know how to paint carbon fiber at home, it'd be you guys. I put a bike together for my girlfriend, it's all white, but the only forks I could find at the time were carbon, and personally, I don't like the way it looks at all, i'd rather just paint it to match the rest of the bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15153/705A38E189224E0D923D4A567725FF54.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-19-2006, 08:20 PM

ORIGINAL: allroy_66

it's not acctually a car part, it's something on a bicycle, the whole thing weighs 18 pounds so it shouldn't be that big of a problem. ha, sorry for abusing you guys, I just assumed if anyone would know how to paint carbon fiber at home, it'd be you guys. I put a bike together for my girlfriend, it's all white, but the only forks I could find at the time were carbon, and personally, I don't like the way it looks at all, i'd rather just paint it to match the rest of the bike.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15153/705A38E189224E0D923D4A567725FF54.jpg[/IMG]
turbo!!

Old 10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ef4life

ORIGINAL: dentinger

paint does add weight, amercian airlines polishies there planes because over the entire cousrse the the aircrafts service life, the weight causes the plane to use less fuel, so they save money, and they will save enough to cover the entire cost of the aircraft.

northwest airlines had all there aircraft stripped of the red paint and painted grey because grey pant uses less pigment and weighs less than red, so they save i think like 10,000,000 a year in fuel costs.

but paint on a car would only be about a gallon total 2 max so about 10 pounds for the whole car.
Yeah, and the Ferrari F40, F50 and F60(enzo) only use one coat of paint and no clear coat. You can see the carbon fiber right through it.

Anyways, don't paint the forks, it'll never come out as good as you think it's going to. Carbon fiber is the sexy.