Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Sub Placement Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 12:10 PM
HCF Member
Default Sub Placement Ideas

I am about to get a whole stereo system and am in the process of brainstorming. One of things I particulary need ideas for is sub placement. I am gonna be running a single 12" alpine type R sub. I would like to keep as much trunk space as possible and therefore thought about doing something fiberglass (also because it would look nicer than a box) and usually conform better therefore taking up less space. I'm open to any ideas so go ahead and make some suggestions.

Old 12-08-2007, 12:50 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sub Placement Ideas

Here is a good place. Check out this site.

Old 12-08-2007, 01:56 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ive been thinking of some ideas for my type R12 box setup cause with a ported box i get quite a bit louder... BUT takes up alot more space... only problem with fiberglassing is you almost always get the best bass sound with them firing the rear trunk lid..... just beter bass reflex for a deeper sound.

im thinking of doing something like a HALF trunk setup.... like just divide the trunk down the center and only use one side that way i can still slap in long items thru the backseat. tho its just a idea so far.....

fiberglassing is preaty easy just needs pleanty of prethinking work... like be sure to cover EVERYTHING UP cause the resin/glass will stick to everything very firm.LMFAO when i did my trucks floor in glass i layered SOLID floor with painters masking tape and then used foil all over it.... and it was still VERY HARD to pop the form loose! and also i learned that if your gonna attach MDF to fiberglass....... build the MDF frame first and glass under and around it with a layer or two then pop the frame down and glass around it as well.....

but most important.... it gets easier the more you do it.LMFAO first layer you lay down you will be VERY uncomfortable in my opinion.LOL but after you find out how it all reacts and laying the glass it will be easy to just keep laying it down. just pick a small area and keep expanding that area... get LOTS of cups for the resin and dont mix up to much at once! when you start out you try to take your time and that resin doesnt care its gonna get hard fast.LMFAO and once it starts hardening up its trash.... throw it to the side and mix somemore... the more you do it the quicker youll get and the more resin youll be able to mix and laydown at one time..

Old 12-08-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: mill$civic

Here is a good place. Check out this site.
Yeah I've seen that one, and I thought about doing it like that, but I'm not sure if it would look good with 1 you know, being unsymetrical.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:36 PM
Super Cereal Admin

you're getting an amp, aren't you? Why not do the same style fiberglassing on the other side (only instead of the round sub shape, have it come out into a square to match the amp) to mount the amp on? It won't look as good as a sub on each side would (as far as symetry goes), but it should still look pretty cool. Actually, I might end up doing that when I get my system.

Old 12-08-2007, 05:02 PM

I'm assuming that you like your spare tire, so fiberglassing a box to fit into that area to make something like this is out of the question?

Name:  IMG_0294.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  43.8 KB

(Personally, on this one I would have gone a different way. That white box is... ugh.)

I could easily see some sort of bandpass box fabricated to fit in the spare tire well. You would have a flat plexiglass sheet protecting the sub, so you could lay anything (unbreakable) on top of it. If neons or LEDs are your thing, you could have a lighting system built in and protected by the same plexiglass.

Old 12-08-2007, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

I do like my spare tire, especially since when I'm at school I'm 4 hours away from home, and if I ever got a flat on the way back, I'd need it, but if I could find somewhere else to put it or something, then I like the idea about the plexiglas, and then some LEDs maybe that would look cool. I see you did something with your spare tire in the pic, what did you do?

Oh and reaper2022, I like your idea too.

This may sound like a dumb question, but once you make the fiberglass "box" how to you secure it to the car exactly. Would you drill it in? Wouldn't the fiberglass be brittle? Or would you encorporate MDF into it and drill through that into the car.

Old 12-08-2007, 07:25 PM
HCF Member

When I had my 95 civic, I fab'ed a box for my 15" JL W6

This was all I got done before I sold it. I plan on doing the same thing with my current civic
Name:  DSCN1870.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  61.2 KB