Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

stainless steel header finish

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 02:37 PM
HCF Member
Default stainless steel header finish

i installed my header less than a month ago and after driving around for a while, it turned colors like you would expect, but it didn't work out evenly as you can see in the picture. i'm thinking i may have gotten sweat or some kind of residue on it during the installation that caused it to discolor in some areas when it was exposed to high temperatures.

i don't know how to word this right but can anybody tell me how i can make it look like it's supposed to?
thanks

Old 09-26-2007, 03:26 PM
Super Cereal Admin
Default RE: stainless steel header finish

don't worry about the discoloration.. there's really no real "look" it's supposed to develop. No two headers will discolor quite the same, so why bother worrying about it? And personally, I think it looks fine (I see the areas you're talking about and it doesn't look bad). I think it just might be one of those things where you know about it so it's a big deal to you, but others don't really notice it unless you point it out.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:13 PM

I agree. I think its looks fine. Also if they all discolor differently.. then yours is unique.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:11 PM
HCF Member

I actually like how it turned out

Old 09-27-2007, 08:31 PM
HCF Member

it looks spiffy but if you dontwant the discolor tiedye look i think paint thinner takes it off for awhile but i comes back after a couple of weeks so your pretty much stuck with it

Old 09-28-2007, 05:19 AM
HCF Member

That header is awesome.

Old 09-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Recognized HCF Member

just spray some wd-40 were you want it to turn a different color but dont get carried away

Old 09-28-2007, 10:57 AM
HCF Member

There is nothing you can really do to keep the metal from changing colors. Its not just from gettings oils on it it also is from oxidation. Metals tend to oxidize slowly just from being in the atmosphere but when you add heat they oxidize really fast. That was causes that rainbow color on there, oxidation from the high heat.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:39 PM
HCF Member

i can understand how you feel, but honestly man its not like people will look at it and be like "wow the discoloration of your header is realllllyyyyyyy taking away from the beauty that is your civic"

Old 09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Super Cereal Admin

it's not that he didn't want it to discolor, it's that he's concerned with how uneven the discoloration is. Like, look at the runner coming from cylinder #3 (the fingerprints or whatever). And even so, I still think it looks good.

Quick Reply: stainless steel header finish