Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Sonar Projectors

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 03:50 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by om4r
cuz i couldnt see jack especially when it was raining.
I live in Los Angeles so rain shouldn't be a problem

This set is going to be temporary. I plan on doing a retrofit in the future and just want to upgrade from my stock lights in the meantime.

From reading around I don't see much love for projectors. Besides poor build quality, is there another reason not to get them? (e.g. they look like crap) I think my car would look pretty good running projectors and HIDs.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by ravi_oli
I live in Los Angeles so rain shouldn't be a problem
Well then good luck seeing through the smog

From reading around I don't see much love for projectors. Besides poor build quality, is there another reason not to get them? (e.g. they look like crap)
Personally, the only Civics I have seen that projectors look decent on are the 7th gen sedans and coupes.

I really think that the front of the car looks 10 times cleaner with the black housing reflector headlights than the black housing projectors.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:54 PM
Super Cereal Admin

He's planning on using HIDs though.

I have projectors with 8000K HIDs on my stang, obviously almost blacked out (if they aren't in direct sunlight they look solid black) as you can see in my sig... light output is what I deem "okay". If you have fogs or plan on getting fogs, I'd say you'll be fine. Also, with the projectors you're looking at being lightly smoked like they are, I don't think you need to worry too much about lost light output, especially if HIDs are in your plans.

*edit: grr... slow reply. This is why I need to have less tabs open in FF lol... my response was aimed at om4r.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:29 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I really think that the front of the car looks 10 times cleaner with the black housing reflector headlights than the black housing projectors.
I can see where you're coming from. One of my reasons for wanting projectors is I want to run HID bulbs but don't want to blind everyone. Friend of mind recently got HIDs with his stock housing and he keeps getting flashed by other drivers.

Is there a solution for that besides aiming the lights lower?

Old 08-10-2009, 04:32 PM

I used to have HIDs in reflector housings and they were aimed correctly and no one ever flashed their high beams at me. There will be a little glare but it's not really that much. Sounds like your friend has the beam aimed too high.

As if trucks and SUVs don't already have their low beams directly in our faces even when properly adjusted anyway...

Old 08-10-2009, 04:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by reaper2022
I don't think you need to worry too much about lost light output, especially if HIDs are in your plans.
Definitely getting HIDs. When I order a set of projectors I will be getting an HID kit at the same time. I'm not too worried about light output through a smoked lense (even with the LA smog ).

I will be getting a 4300K HID kit but still don't think output will be an issue. If it is I'll just go back to stock for a little longer...

Old 08-10-2009, 04:35 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
I used to have HIDs in reflector housings and they were aimed correctly and no one ever flashed their high beams at me. There will be a little glare but it's not really that much. Sounds like your friend has the beam aimed too high.

As if trucks and SUVs don't already have their low beams directly in our faces even when properly adjusted anyway...
OMG lol in the Sol that is annoying as hell, Every single truck/SUV that drives behind me completely blinds me haha

Old 08-10-2009, 04:44 PM
Super Cereal Admin

I will be getting a 4300K HID kit
OMG THANK YOU!!! Stock HIDs are in the 4000K-5000K heat range for a reason: it's where optimal visible light output is at. 6000K and up is great for lighting up reflectors but beyond that they're not that great

Old 08-10-2009, 04:45 PM
February 2010 ROTM

those projectors are ugly and wont work much better for HID's than regular headlights as they are not meant for hid's either. They still use a regular light bulb and a HID bulb projector is set up completly different. I am working on retro fitting mine right now with lexus projectors i got for free and will be far better than any ebay halogen projector.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:15 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by NIKE H34D
Pic of your current headlights? and any pics of your car besides your sig?
Here are more pics of my car. Made an album in the gallery.

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...p?albumid=1536

I haven't done much with the car. Only had it for a year. But have I no plans to sell it and plan on doing a lot of mods including an engine swap

Last edited by ravi_oli; 08-10-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Sonar Projectors