Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Some questions about body kits.

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 07:14 PM
HCF Member

Bro dont listen to them. For me, modding is all about creating something unique, a reflection of self if you will. A body kit will change the entire look of the car. You can make it as agressive, ricey, subtle, classy or in your face as you feel. A streetfighter or blitz kit is all out agression, where as a c-west kit is subtle and classy. Forget what other people think of your car, its all about you.

Old 09-03-2008, 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChaosII
Bro dont listen to them. For me, modding is all about creating something unique, a reflection of self if you will. A body kit will change the entire look of the car. You can make it as agressive, ricey, subtle, classy or in your face as you feel. A streetfighter or blitz kit is all out agression, where as a c-west kit is subtle and classy. Forget what other people think of your car, its all about you.
The reason that we here mostly hate body kits is because of the following:
Most of the people on this forum like to make our cars clean looking. Well, most people tend to lump all Honda owners into one group: ricers... and we are always trying to fight that reputation off because it doesn't apply to half of us, but it's really hard to fight the rep away when people still make their cars look ricey. I've noticed that the ricey Honda phase of society has seemed to drop off a little bit nowadays, a few years after its rise when Fast n' the Furious came to theatres, but when people rice out their Civics it eats away at the hope that one day we won't be lumped into one category, or that people will stop ricing out there cars and realize how ugly it is. Basically, we are tired of taking the heat that is caused by everyone who distastefully modifies the appearance of their car.

Truthfully, all these M3 mirrors, Z3 fenders, huge body kits, chrome rims, 1' wings, lime green paint, tribal decals, and etcetera are just plain tacky. If tacky is how you see your "reflection of self" there might be a problem. I don't care if you like flashy things, but when you make it affect people that don't want to be affiliated (like making Honda Civic's reputation in style worse and embarrassing the owners of Civics), we get pissed off.

Ricers make owning a Civic an embarrassment for other people.

Also what we hate that usually comes along with ricers is that badass king-of-the-road attitude coming from people who drive these riced out cars with absolutely no performance mods besides an electric turbocharger that they obviously know nothing about which is proved by them even bothering to buy it.

/rant

Last edited by trustdestruction; 09-03-2008 at 08:48 PM.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:01 AM
HCF Member

You just said you liked the kit more though? It's w/e though because your putting a lip kit on.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:08 PM
HCF Member

I like how this thread blossomed out of nowhere .

And i've adopted the "Fu(k what you think" mentality. If i wanna make it look ricey, who's to judge? If i wanna be lumped into the ricer catagory , than it's my decision.

And maybe on the inside M3 mirrors, Z3 fenders, huge body kits, chrome rims, 1' wings, lime green paint, and tribal decals /do/ reflect who i am. What i'm saying is this: I'm not gonna base my decisions off of what you don't like about other cars.
If i wanna ricer, than it sucks for you i guess.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Zoltor100
What's a good website for good lookin' cheap-ish body kits? Are there bad quality ones, or maybe off-brand ones i need to look out for? What about material? Would a carbon fiber one be better than a fiberglass one?
try andysautosport.com, its in my sig. they have a bunch of good looking body kits that are low priced and good looking.

Old 09-05-2008, 01:32 AM
HCF Member

That's exactly it mate. Forget what anyone else thinks. I love the fact some people hate they way my car looks. Lets me know im atleast noticed. I am a very-in-your-face kind of person. I have big subs, because of the 'be heard, be seen' idea. I love my in your face looks, cause it gets attention. Not always for the right reasons but at least I am proud enough to mod my civic how I want it to look, without fear of what you or anyone else thinks.

And I have very limited engine mods because quite frankly, compaired to what gets around in this town, nothing I do to it will even hold a candle to the kind of kws the boys here are running. Besides, id rather go slow and loud, longer for them to look at it and be jelous. When 2 guys in their skyline or hsv want a drags at the lights, I don't even bother cause I know im going home with the hotty in the side seat that night, and he is gonna drop his mate of home before his date with mrs palmer.

And as far as clean and tasteful go, I am oem white, no stickers, and debadged. No one even knows what my car is. Its clean and tasteful with its own sence of class yet still has the same visual impact of a lambo.

And another thing, im disappointed that you shun the origon of your civic so much. U claim its all about going fast, not looking 'ricey', but you forget that all of these features, slammed suspension, cambers, big wheels, aerospoilers, carbon fibre hoods and vents are all intended as preformance upgrades anyway.

Old 09-05-2008, 05:36 PM

And another thing, im disappointed that you shun the origon of your civic so much. U claim its all about going fast, not looking 'ricey', but you forget that all of these features, slammed suspension, cambers, big wheels, aerospoilers, carbon fibre hoods and vents are all intended as preformance upgrades anyway.
If they're intended for performance, then why do you only use them for appearance?
Making your car look fast isn't hard, it's making it actually fast that takes skill.
Slapping a body kit on your car and making your car look fast when it's really stock and slow is stupid, it's almost kinda poserlike.
And at least a lamborghini can back up its sporty appearance.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:03 PM
HCF Member

I think you are mistaken in saying that making a fast car is more challanging than making a good looking car. Fast is just a turbo, rebuilt internals and some tuning. Its measurable in the form of power on a dyno. There is definition as to what is 'better'.

Whereas there are so many different looks you can aim for when you are modding your appearance. For instance, chrome wheels, dvd screens and leather interior with a candy paint generates a very high class image, whereas in the same car, bucket seats, 6 point harness, decals, a shopping list down the quarter pannel and simple plain colour wheels make it look sportier. This broader sectrum allows room for individuallity, were the owner can define what's 'better', not a dyno. To perfect the look takes equal if not more time than preformance upgrades.

Not to mention that personality changes, and so to will taste and image. I was once a racer, workin on a twin turbo prelude with bucket seats, veilside kit in monaro green. I then went through a little bit of a goth emo phase, resulting in me starting to build my civic with a ultra offensive kit, black paintjob with blood splatter effects, and a burning rose vinyl down the side. This car, like the prelude, never saw completion. I have since addopted a taste for the good life, since comming into a much higher paying job, and have changed to a clean yet still very noticable and more importantly to me unique, high class look. I have borrowd many bmw parts, changed to leather and spent a lot more time and money on a good quality sound system.

Sorry for ranting but I just wish to illistrate how visuals are individual, and a reflection of personallity, and getting it right is more than just 'slapping on a big set of chrome wheels and a body kit'.

However, mixing styles is a mistake and is what I believe you are refering to when you say 'ricer'.

But cummon guys, lets be honnest, as good as the lil civic donks are, (and don't misquote me, I love hondas having owned 8 honda bikes and 5 honda cars) they are comparatively slow. If it was all about speed, id buy a rex or a maloo (which is an aussie ute, google it) and not waste my time on a 1.6l four cylinder naturally aspirated civic.

Bottom line is that we can just agree to disagree. And I don't think you should tell everyone that body kits are bad and so on, (even though he did ask opinion which is the first mistake). Its like askin a stranger to pick out a tattoo for you. In the words of the great aussie rapper mc pressure 'really mate, F@#k what they thought of you'.

Last edited by ChaosII; 09-05-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-05-2008, 07:55 PM

Sorry for ranting but I just wish to illistrate how visuals are individual, and a reflection of personallity, and getting it right is more than just 'slapping on a big set of chrome wheels and a body kit'.

However, mixing styles is a mistake and is what I believe you are refering to when you say 'ricer'.
Exactly. The ricers are the people who don't understand what matches.
You don't go put a big wing on your car and then put on chrome rims. They just don't go together, and they're actually pretty self-contradictory. Wings are for performance (though they don't do anything on FWD, ricers don't know that) but the chrome rims are heavy as hell and the ricers don't know that either.
I think the thing that pisses me off the most is when someone does this, and doesn't touch the engine, but they think they can beat any car in a race.
I think it's really what I don't like is people modifying their cars when they don't know anything about cars, and then acting like they do know.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:35 PM
HCF Member

So far i have deduced (haha, i love this word ) that a ricer is the poser of modding cars?

Like the kids that wear skinny jeans and call themselves skaters, ricers make theire cars look fast, but they really aren't, right?

Quick Reply: Some questions about body kits.