Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Smooth dash

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 08:49 PM
Default Smooth dash

I'm starting to work on my interior while I'm waiting on myself to make an engine desission. Alot of my interior panels are scratched pritty deep expecially the rear. I decided to take all my panels out and sand them down add body filer sand it smooth and then paint it. I'm going to go with a Flat black finish because I think it will look sweet with black suede coverd seats. My extirior is white.

Has anyone smoothed their panels before and if so am I going about the right way? Any help is welcome thanks.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:27 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Smooth dash

humm iv never heard of anyone doing this before, but the only thing is, if the plastic flexes alot, the body filler could pop out, you could just sand it down till the scratch is out but you will have to sand the entire piece to get the same texture, same if you use the body filler, your going to have to sand the hole piece down else when you paint it, the body filler will have a very smooth texture and the plastic will be more ruff, I would test this out on a small junk piece before you do all this work..good luck, get some before and after pics

Old 08-05-2005, 09:34 PM

I did plan on sanding every piece first. and the whole piece. What i'm going for is a smooth flat finish look. Plasitc doesn't sand as smooth as body filler. and as for flexing I'm hoping the body filler will bond enough with the plastic.

I know I am going to have ALOT of hours of sanding.

I've made custom fiberglass boxes and dashes but I've never tried filler on the accual plastic dash itself

Old 08-05-2005, 10:37 PM

I wouldn't think this will work, but I could be wrong. But then again, I don't think so.

Old 08-06-2005, 06:31 PM

OK I started today on this project I'm going to try out on the very back center panel by the hatch sence I have an extra. I sanded down the whole panel and mixed the filer. I didn't mix it to hot so that is would get a good hold on the plastic. It's curing right now so later I'll do the fun job of more sanding. I am going to get this to work. If this doesn't work I'll do a combination of fiberglass resin and body filler to maybe get a better bond.

Old 08-06-2005, 09:36 PM
HCF Member

I'm doing the same thing. I didn't have any scratches, so I don't know about the body filler, but you're gonna prolly do a LOT of sanding. There's two different textures for the interior, there's the hard plastic (that you're working on now) and the dash (which is a softer foam-feeling material). The same paint you use on the hard plastic may not work on the soft stuff. I used Krylon Fusion and it seemed to work alright, Not sure if they make a flat black though. LOTS of primer too, to fill in all that texture engrained into the plastic, too hard to just sand it all out.

Old 08-07-2005, 09:17 AM

Fiberglass resin would work better than body filler since the resin will stick to almost anything.