Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Sidemarker Wiring???

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 02:20 PM
HCF Member
Default Sidemarker Wiring???

alright guys i jsut got back from nopi in maryland, and jdmpassword was there so i got myself some stanley smoked makers and a harness for $40....and i understand how to install them, but im a little confussing on the wiring.... how do you get it, so that it runs with the running lights and blink with the turning signals??

Old 05-18-2008, 02:27 PM
Recognized HCF Member
Default RE: Sidemarker Wiring???

well i dont have them BUT i would say wire them right up with your front parking lights.

if you want them ON all the time wire up the power wire for the lights with the front parking lights. and then wire up the ground from the lights to the turn signal wire upfront.

if the civics turn signal wire is grounded when not powered it should stay lite with the parking lights and blink off with the turn signals. thats how i would try to wire it up. pretty simple.

Old 05-18-2008, 02:43 PM
HCF Member

One of the members just got one ( too lazy to go look) hes gonna see this threead soon and should be able to help you out. But yeah im guessing wire it up to the turn signal light

Old 05-18-2008, 02:46 PM
HCF Member

ej6buddy
there's two ways:

usdm: only blink, not on all the time
jdm: on all the time, and blink opposite of the turn signals in your headlamps

just wire the ground and hot wire into the turn signal wire off your turnsignals, i believe it's usually the striped one.

Old 05-18-2008, 06:47 PM
HCF Member

hehe, yeah, just finished mine up with a homegrown harness. yeah, there's two ways, usdm and jdm. my suggestion is to go with the usdm so they only blink with the turn signals and hazards.

your sidemarkers will have a positive and negative (aka green and black)
your front turn signals will have three wires b/c it's a dual filiment bulb (aka black, red, and green)

a) if you want them to light up only with your turn signals, then wire the sidemarker into the green and black with the positive and negative (respectively)

b) if you want them to light up all the time with your running lights, then wire the sidemarker into the red and black with the positive and negative (respectively)

c) if you want them to light up all the time and blink alternately with your turn signals, then wire the sidemarker into the red and green with the positive and negative (respectively)

lemme know if you have any more questions

Old 05-19-2008, 05:50 AM
HCF Member

when you mean alternateley you mean they blink with the turning signals also

Old 05-19-2008, 06:02 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: basbal123

when you mean alternateley you mean they blink with the turning signals also
i'm not sure if you're familiar with circuits or not, but this is rather complicated, the sidemarker basically has not ground, so when the turn signal is off, it acts as a ground terminal for the sidemarker. so they blink opposite of one another, it doesn't look that great, but at least they're always running.

i just wiring mine like they're supposed to be, only blinkers

Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 AM
HCF Member

it means both flash but when your turn signal is on a flash cycle (lit up bright) the side marker will not be lit up bright (just in marker mode) then when the side marker lights up bright (on its flash cycle) the front signal will be in marker mode....so instead of them both going BLINK......BLINK......BLINK.......BLINK (at the same time) it will be more like FM..SM..FM..SM..FM (FM meaning front marker and SM meaning side marker) I think that makes sense

Old 05-19-2008, 08:34 AM
HCF Member

o ok is it possible to "T" the power wire on the market and connect it to the 2 wires and then just ground it to the ground, or is that a bad idea also

Old 05-19-2008, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

no, b/c when you have two voltages in parallel, then you'll have the same voltage, just different currents, so only do one of the two or three options. don't experiment b/c some people have tried and they now have harness issues and problems with the lights while braking the car. and even if you did "T" it, it would continuously be running, so there's no point.

Quick Reply: Sidemarker Wiring???