Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

side molding removal?painting window trim

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 04:58 PM
Default side molding removal?painting window trim

i am looking to remove the side molding off of my95' civic dx. does anyone know how they are attached? clips or adhesive? is there a whole then? i don't want to just paint them,but not a big fan of bondo either. any input would be nice. also looking to paint bottom window trim to match color of car(frost white). they are black now but peeling badly. they seem to be made of rubber. will the paint stay?

Old 06-02-2007, 08:01 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: side molding removal?painting window trim

the mouldings are a pain to take off. or at least for me they have been. they are clipped in and you have to take off the interior door panel to get to the ones on the door. for the rear one you have to open the interior panels next to the back seat to get to that one and the little one in the front i think you open the fender liner from the wheel well to get to it. for the rubber window trim you should buy plastic paint i assume. mine are looking like **** too but i was gonna buy new ones instead of painting.

Old 06-02-2007, 08:51 PM
HCF Member

ok no u dont have to take off ur door panels and all to get them off, to me it sounds like ur wanting a cleaner look for you car and if thats the case u have 2 choices. first you could just paint over your trim which look pretty nice too. or second you could rip out the trim piece all together(should break the clips if u do this because id dont matter) and then u would want to either weld sheet metal over the indent or glass it smooth and then paint over it. DO NOT USE BONDO TO FILL IN THE INDENT!!!! you will be sorry in time because of the flexing it wont last long

Old 06-02-2007, 09:35 PM

I was kind of wondering this also. Im looking to replace my moldings on my 95 civic dx also. I need to buy new ones anyways because when i got the car it was missing one of the fender moldings cause of an accident. There is no apparent way to remove the door molding without removing the panels. Unless you pry it out from the end, but doesnt seem real practical.

Old 06-02-2007, 11:05 PM
HCF Member

you can slide the trim to either the front of the car or rear and it should release the clips too

Old 06-03-2007, 12:57 PM
HCF Member

ya so i have a 95 si. and they do not slide off, wish they did. i've seen the clips when removing the interior panels and you must be careful in order to not break them. oh and i think its autopartswarehouse.com, they have mouldings for cheap.

Old 06-03-2007, 04:59 PM

if u fill in the indent do not use bondo the more layers of bondo u use the weaker it gets and will crack easier. you will have to get metal and weld it over then grind and fill to make it look good which means u will have to respray the whole side of the car if u want it to look good..

Old 06-03-2007, 05:56 PM
HCF Member

^^+1

Old 06-07-2007, 02:19 PM

sounds like more work than i was planning on doing. thank you for all the input, i may just rip them off if i can find somewhere cheap to weld s/m over the holes. thanks again.