Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Sanding down primer

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 02:26 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sanding down primer

Why not? If done correctly it can look amazing. Just check out Mossy's gallery. He did his front lip, and if I'm not mistaken, his side skirts as well.
Yeah it can look very good...but it's not going to match factory paint and I strongly advise against it when doing large areas. The spray cans tends to have a tighter spray pattern and unless you've been painting for a while it would be hard to get it to lay down evenly....not to mention you won't be able to jerk off for a while after shaking all the cans you'd go through on a large area. Just my $.02

Old 03-29-2006, 02:39 PM

Good thing I live with my girlfriend.

J

Old 03-29-2006, 03:01 PM
HCF Member

lol....another thing about the rattle cans if you go that route...

when you get to below half of a spray can you are getting more propellant than paint. It will begin to spray inconsistently. This can lead to uneven coverage and spattering. So your better of having more cans than needed and not using them up past that point.

Old 03-29-2006, 07:02 PM

true true. if u go the rattle can way be careful and make sure your girl dosen't help ya or you won't be getting no action.

Old 03-30-2006, 09:55 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: RaskyR1

Why not? If done correctly it can look amazing. Just check out Mossy's gallery. He did his front lip, and if I'm not mistaken, his side skirts as well.
Yeah it can look very good...but it's not going to match factory paint and I strongly advise against it when doing large areas. The spray cans tends to have a tighter spray pattern and unless you've been painting for a while it would be hard to get it to lay down evenly....not to mention you won't be able to jerk off for a while after shaking all the cans you'd go through on a large area. Just my $.02
well, we'll see how my stuff turns out in a few weeks. And it will match factory paint if you buy the correct paint. Maybe not perfectly, but you'd have to put your face 3 inches away and stare to see the difference.

Old 03-30-2006, 10:09 AM
HCF Member

Yeah I didn't realise you could get paint mixed at the store and put into rattle cans...so matching shouldn't be a problem....just not a big fan of them. My old man owns a body shop and has been doing it for 40 years and he'd shoot me if I painted a car with one

Old 03-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Laced with Sarcasm

sad that you can't teach old dogs new tricks...

oh, and it doesn't get mixed, you just buy your specific paint color in a can. For instance when I get mine, I need to get Milano Red

Old 03-30-2006, 11:10 AM
HCF Member

boosted_honda mentioned above you can get it mixed ...been a long time since I've been in a paint store so I'm not 100% sure. My old man has the whole paint mixing system at his shop...pretty cool how it works.

I did paint a few Pinewood Derby cars for United Way at my work with Rattle can. One in Chameleon, one in Cherry and the other in Candy Red. Wet sanded them down and buffed to a nice glass like finish...I got the best of show award 3 years in a row. hehehe [8D]

Old 03-30-2006, 11:24 AM

i know there is a way that you can get the paint mixed and then hook an aerosel can to it to make it like spray paint while using mixed paint. if you don't have lots of practice with a rattle can i would not suggest it . i am pretty comfortable with them but i don't think i would ever attempt a front bumper with a rattle can. i have seen some pretty nasty paint jobs with rattle cans. i would love to see mossy paint work up close not even 3 inchs just in person. but i have to be honest i saw some nice pics of rattle can jobs on this site. but i don' t think without the experience u shouldn't try it

Old 03-30-2006, 11:40 AM
HCF Member

lol...Yeah painting your car with anything if you're inexperienced is just a bad idea! In the 16 years I've been Detailing I've seen some pretty messed up paint jobs come through the shop too. "Pimp my ride" type shows make it look easy but it takes time to get that good.