Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Sanding down primer

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 11:30 PM
Default Sanding down primer

Any recommendations for sanding primer off of a body kit? I want to do this perfectly...

J

Old 03-29-2006, 08:08 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Sanding down primer

get some smooth sandpaper ,about 200ish grit (im guessing you primerd from a gun,mideum build) and a sanding block and just go in long streches across the bumper, your going to sand into the bumper a bit...USE a block, because if you just put your hand to hold the sand paper your putting different amounts of pressure on it..good luck

Old 03-29-2006, 09:43 AM

I actually primered with spray paint, or primer in a spray can or whatever. Does that really matter?

J

Old 03-29-2006, 11:05 AM

yes and no. you should be alright but, do you have a automotive paint store around your area. if so go and buy some "HIGH BUILD PRIMER" its in a rattle can too but its automotive primer. same stuff they spray out of the guns. anyway. if not then just go to the store and get some sandable primer but i would put alot of coats on it cause your going to sand alot of it away. anyway use a block to sand and use 320 grit. take a bucket and fill it with water. cold or hot don't matter your puting your hands in it. get a rag. make the rag and the sandpaper wet. use the rag to keep the panel wet while you sand this is called wet sanding. i know duh! anyway sand in the direction of the panel not in circles and you don't have to apply alot of pressure to the block. just keep it wet. if u think of it in a perverted kinda way its kinda like sex......just keep it wet....thats all im saying. good luck

Old 03-29-2006, 11:22 AM
HCF Member

You're not planning on painting it with a rattle can are you?

Old 03-29-2006, 12:15 PM

No plan, really... whatever the experts on this forum say, I will do... nothin sexual, tho... probably nothing sexual. Maybe. Shutup.

J

Old 03-29-2006, 12:55 PM
Laced with Sarcasm

ORIGINAL: RaskyR1

You're not planning on painting it with a rattle can are you?
Why not? If done correctly it can look amazing. Just check out Mossy's gallery. He did his front lip, and if I'm not mistaken, his side skirts as well.

...or better yet, click HERE

Old 03-29-2006, 01:37 PM

things can be done right with a rattle can. like i said if u have a automotive paint store in your area then go to them and they can put whatever u want in a rattle can. that is if u don't have access to a compressor and paint gun. so just look in your door jam and find the paint code and give it to them they will mix the paint and put it into a rattle can or i better say several rattle cans. you can get single stage paint with clear already in it so when it drys its done. you pervert. [sm=joke.gif]

Old 03-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Right on right on.

Old 03-29-2006, 02:20 PM

shouldn't you also put a coat or two of clear over it? is it actually done and presentable with just one coat using a single stage?

Quick Reply: Sanding down primer