Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

PNP Hid kit for '98 EX... glare?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 10:44 PM
HCF Member
Default PNP Hid kit for '98 EX... glare?

I'm wondering if I go ahead and get myself one of those HID kits posted on here from HIDExtra, and install them in my '98 EX, if there's going to be excessive glare from it.. I don't want to bother oncoming traffic, or get pulled over by the cops because of it.

Would I be ok for a while, then I can switch to a projector set up later on, or is the glare really bad?

edit: btw, I'm looking to get HID for visibility, not because it's 'cool'... i have crappy night vision...

Last edited by kloan; 07-28-2009 at 10:51 PM.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:43 PM
HCF Member

stock halogen headlight + PnP HID's= Glare Yes.

if you really want them i guess you can adjust the headlight to point a bit more lower

Old 07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
HCF Member

Hmm, ok.. thanks. Shame they don't integrate reflectors with them to control the glare.

Well, I guess I can start looking for replacement housings as well then.. any recommendations for a decent projector set up that would work with HIDs?

I was looking at this one here, http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT which I think looks pretty good. Though I wonder if a black housing would look better with a black car.

Last edited by kloan; 07-28-2009 at 11:56 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:17 AM
HCF Member

the only real/legal way to have HID's on our civic is to do a retrofit. meaning taking the projectors from a car that has them OEM like the S2K or TSX and getting them into the civic headlight housing, but this way can add up going to at least $500.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM
HCF Member

How come though? How does retrofitting HIDs from another Honda make it legal? They're still being put into stock halogen housings, so whatever mods that need to be done, couldn't they be done with the PnP kits?

I guess what I'm wondering is, is there something I can do to reduce glare with the PnP and stock housing, or is it better to get the projector lights and use HID with those instead?

At this point, I'm leaning towards projectors, simply because I think they look good.. I just don't want to buy the 9003 kit to use with stock, then find out there's too much glare, then decide to get projectors, which would most likely use H1s and I'd be stuck with HIDs I can't use.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:31 AM
HCF Member

ok.... i do not care how gay you are..... or how proud you are of the fact your gay.... just no. No to chrome projectors.

EDIT::::::::::ont take my little jab up there seriously.... just wanted to say something about the chrome hehe

Last edited by NIKE H34D; 07-29-2009 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by kloan
How come though? How does retrofitting HIDs from another Honda make it legal? They're still being put into stock halogen housings, so whatever mods that need to be done, couldn't they be done with the PnP kits?
Because a retrofit is not just taking the HID bulb from the other car and putting it in your headlight. A retrofit is when you take the entire OEM HID projector assembly out of another cars headlight housing and install it into your own housing.

Why not just buy some nice halogen bulbs though? Why are you so determined to have HIDs?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 AM

Hids are nice. That's why. I'm thinking about getting projectors too.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:16 AM

I think they're overrated. I had them... was not impressed. Had one start to give me a little trouble so I switched back to halogens. Bought some decent bulbs and i'm satisfied.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:57 AM
HCF Member

Ah, ok.. I read up on the retrofit. So OEM HIDs are always projectors... it's only the PnP kits that allow installs in regular housings. EDIT:, but then what about D2R bulbs? They're meant for reflector housings...

Why do I want them? I like the way they look...!! I like the colour temp, how they illuminate the road, etc.

Why is chrome 'gay'?? Just about every car on the market that has OEM HIDs has chrome housings! I'm leaning towards chrome honestly.. I don't know if I like the black look, although sfazngiants's HIDs in the thread https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=76202 look really good. I can't seem to find them on eBay though.

Only thing I'm not looking forward to is having to remove the bumper to install the projector headlights.

Last edited by kloan; 07-29-2009 at 02:30 AM.

Quick Reply: PNP Hid kit for '98 EX... glare?