Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

plastic dye....not paint..

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 11:35 PM
HCF Member
Default plastic dye....not paint..

Well...ive been searching all over the net for a good plastic dye but have found nothing. I don't want to paint my interior with krylon fusion....i dont want ot paint it at all. I read in a few places taht vinyl dye would actually penetrate plastic....i tried it out on a small piece and its a no go....i really just want a dye that will completely change the color of plastic. Does anyone know where i could find this? all my plasic peice are out of my car so thats not an issue...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 09-15-2007, 12:20 AM
Default RE: plastic dye....not paint..

I was doing this today. I have done both painted and dyed my interior trim. Whe I painted it, I cleaned, primed x 2, painted x 3, topcoated x 3, and GENERALLY, it is good, there is a few wear spots and scuff marks from boots/toolboxes, but it is nice and glossy, very shiney and strong colour. However, it is alot more expensive and time consuming. With the bits I dyed, I only dyed them today, and the can says let dry for 72 hours or something. It looked dry so i jsut put them back in after 20 minutes, but i found it didnt take much at all to scratch the dye off. I guess it hasnt soaked in properly. Im going to be gentle with it for now, and ill report in in 3 days or so with how durable it is. I think thats ur problem, did u jsut dye it and then try scratching it, cause u are supose to dye it, leave it soak for 3 days, then clean it. Wait out for a few days and ill get back to you with how well it all goes.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:56 AM
HCF Member

well...i dyed and let it sit overnight and then tried scratching it..but i still have other piece that have sat about 3days and they still scratch off...im looking just for somthing new..let me knwo though..are you using vinyl dye? if you are which brand?

Old 09-15-2007, 04:56 PM

yep vinyl die, brand I am unsure of atm, but I will find out. If they vinyl dye doesnt work for you, might i recommend the other option. painting plastics, if done right, looks alot better, stronger colour, better gloss and just a more durable finish. I uses plastic primer, vinyl/plastic paint, and acrylic topcoat clear and this is how it turned out.... wait I dont know how to post pics like this, Ill put it in the post below, give me a sec.

Old 09-15-2007, 04:59 PM

Ok, so this is how it turned out, as you can see, I only did the kick pannels and glove box so far, but thats how far Ive made it. I am not sure about painting the softer vinyl like the door trim and dash because it might flex, flake and peal and so on. Thats why im sampling the dye because I believe it will hold to the softer vinyl better.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12025/05B86658A0F04E899AF833D339E0F3DF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-15-2007, 10:41 PM

That looks pretty nice! Is it glossy just in the pic or is it like that in person? I was thinking of dying my dash because I thought it would look more like an OEM finish than paint... but if it's glossy then I guess not...?

Old 09-16-2007, 03:37 AM

No no, that pic is of the paint, and its that glossy in real life. The dye isnt so glossy. Its a bit more OEM mat black. I will try get you some piccis over the next few days. What I am going to do is dye it, let it soak for 3 days, then put a few layers of topcoat clear over it. Im hopeing that will bring up a bit more shine and durability. Wait out.