Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

paintjob

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2004, 05:45 PM
Default paintjob

Ok I just posted in the tech forum a minute ago but I just want to get some feedback on my paint as my girlfriend is tired of listening to my ideas and my dog isn't speaking to me at the moment. The civic I'm buying has the typical sun faded black paint job and the paint is peeling really badly off the bumpers, so this completly frees me to do what ever the hell I want to it as far as paint goes, all of which will be done with rattle can paint. flat black is the classic alternative to flashy paint jobs but I think Its not quite originall enough for me camoflauge has also been done so that is out unless I can find some blaze orange safety camo paint. Od green immediatly comes to mind as does a two tone job of flat od green on the bottem and flat black on the top from like the windows up, it looks awsome on guns so i thinkit would look pimp especially with flat black steelies and dark tint. The car dosent have a muffler on it now so I think I'm ordering a generic dual outlet bent up style muffler sand it down a bit a paint it flat black with high temp exhaust paint. As you can probablly tell Im leaning to the green and black job a bit, but yesturday on my way home from work I saw a john deere tractor anbI think a John Deere green civic Lowered on bright yellow steelies would be the funniest thing in the world ohh and I would have to get a powered by john deere sticker made up. So tell me what you think and Please don't bloke me from the forum for this.

Old 08-26-2004, 05:58 PM
NTX
HCF Member
Default RE: paintjob

all of which will be done with rattle can paint.
your gonna paint it yourself with can spray paint?

The car dosent have a muffler on it now
u drivin it without the muffler?

I would have to get a powered by john deere sticker made up.
sounds like you've got a plan. When it's done, you think we could see some pics?

Old 08-26-2004, 06:29 PM

yes i have painted other things flat black with rattle can and its worked out, no havent driven the car much without the muffler due to the lack of back brakes, but how bad would it be for the motor to run with no back pressure. And yeah the john deere paint job would be cool but i think the novelty would wear off quicker than i would feel like repainting the car.

Old 08-26-2004, 06:37 PM
NTX
HCF Member

i like the flat black idea (if your using a can). i've never seen other colours from a can come out good.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:00 AM
HCF Member

but how bad would it be for the motor to run with no back pressure.
why does your car need any backpressure?

Old 08-27-2004, 01:01 AM

i always thought some back pressure was nessesary to run properly, is it gonna skrew anything off running the car with now muffler

Old 08-27-2004, 12:57 PM
NTX
HCF Member

it wont screw anything up, but you will lose performance only because the car iis not tuned for a straight pipe.

Old 08-27-2004, 02:37 PM

so how about this as a compromise:

you said that you wouldn't mind flat black but that it may not be original enough, but not to dash your hopes there aren't really too many things out there that someone else hasn't done, anyways you also mentioned that it would be done with a rattle can, which if done well with flat black isn't all that bad and harkens back to the day of the original street rodders sense of DIY, you then brought up the john deere, which you also wisely caught as being a novelty that would wear off quickly. So here is the compromise, if you are going to paint the car by rattle can paint it flat black and if you are going to paint it flat black paint it with John Deere Blitz Black. John Deere Blitz Black is an authorized John Deere paint found at John Deere dealers that comes in rattle can form, it is used on the undercarriages of tractors which till, cut and raze things like rocks, dirt and corn everyday so if it is durable enough for tractors it is more than durable enough for cars as i have seen many old rods painted with it. Just my 2 cents

Old 08-27-2004, 06:52 PM

Hey how are ya? Listen man, I would strongly advise getting a professional sprayer to do it, seriously! I paid through the nose for my paint and it came off looking like a treat! The second that you change the stock color you lose out on your regular resale value, so the next best thing is to make a bad *** custom streeter out of it so that you can name you price in a niche market! I really think you should sit on that idea for awhile
Kisses,
DQ xxx