Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Painting Trim Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 03:18 PM

As plethoric said, there are a few screws on the inside of the fender well and underneath (3 on the underside of each I believe), but I didn't have any in the rear wheel well on my car at least. Take out the clips underneath, turn your wheels all the way to one side, take out the screws in the fender well, push the side skirt to the back and they are off. They are kind of a PITA to make sure that the skirts are on the little plastic things when putting them back on, but after a few tries, you should have it no problem.

All but the side skirts, rain "gutters" (as I call them on the top), antenna bezel, and windshield nozzles, came factory painted (at least for the EX). I took my side skirts off and painted them my self last summer. Here's a quick pic of my EX w/ painted side skirts.

Definitely paint the fog light covers, side moldings, mirrors, door handles, and license plate thing on the trunk (if yours isn't painted). I will end up painting my fog light covers this spring/summer.

Old 03-31-2009, 06:59 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Yeah, I hate seeing the license plate plastic not painted. I think it looks cheap.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
As plethoric said, there are a few screws on the inside of the fender well and underneath (3 on the underside of each I believe), but I didn't have any in the rear wheel well on my car at least. Take out the clips underneath, turn your wheels all the way to one side, take out the screws in the fender well, push the side skirt to the back and they are off. They are kind of a PITA to make sure that the skirts are on the little plastic things when putting them back on, but after a few tries, you should have it no problem.

All but the side skirts, rain "gutters" (as I call them on the top), antenna bezel, and windshield nozzles, came factory painted (at least for the EX). I took my side skirts off and painted them my self last summer. Here's a quick pic of my EX w/ painted side skirts.

Definitely paint the fog light covers, side moldings, mirrors, door handles, and license plate thing on the trunk (if yours isn't painted). I will end up painting my fog light covers this spring/summer.
Did you also paint the door trim? If so, how did you get it off? I've been looking online and just can't seem to find the answer

Old 05-10-2009, 11:02 PM
HCF Member

ooooo yay lol i been wanting to see your car with that trim and door handles painted it will look super clean cant wait to see the end result

and cvcrcr99 WOW that thing is slammed

Old 05-12-2009, 05:33 AM
HCF Member

Before I shaved my door trim I painted it on the car, Later on When I was doing body work I removed them along with my door handles. You have to remove the door panels to get in there and remove a nut, the rest is just clips. But its easier to push the clips from the inside. I did this to my 4door. for the one in the fender, pop down the fender liner just enough to get to the clips. I painted my rain gutters on the roof. I wet sanded them with 800, then cleaned them really good. Applied 2 coats of adhesion promoter in a spray can from autozone, it sprays clear. Then I did primer sealer, color coat and clear coat all with a gun because I was painting the entire car.
Hope your project works out.

Old 05-14-2009, 09:48 AM
HCF Member

i've got a 99 ex that is green and the things that dont match my color (they are black) are my side skirts spray nozzles and the antenna base, imo match everything to your cars color other than those things, but i think the sideskirts matching would look pretty sick too.

Old 05-14-2009, 10:27 PM
HCF Member

This is a great Thread! Im looking to do this with my 1992, now this "adhesion promoter" is this actually what its called? and im also concerned about my skirts... how would they take to rocks hitting them? this is my year round car, and they put TONNES of Gravel on the road up here in the winter, how well do you think this would stand up to it?

Old 05-15-2009, 06:09 AM
March 2010 ROTM

Tons of rock will take off any paint, no matter what you do. And the promoter is also called plastic primer. Just look around a pep boys or autozone.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:10 AM
HCF Member

Sweet thanks, well hopefully it will survive decently well at least...

Old 05-17-2009, 09:23 PM
HCF Member

ok i have done alot of interior and molding painting and i'm in the middle of doing the interior of my 00 civic in black and red. Autozone or pep boys paint will work with plastic paint adhesive promoter is used...but doesnt last if its a part you touch alot or gets alot of wheather on it....your best bet is to go to a actual paint store and get some red scotch brite pads, sem scuff and clean...and use water and scuff the parts you are goin to paint...lay down a tac coat of primer, then a couple heavy wet coats with about 10 to 15 mins between coats....let it dry and set up. then wet sand the primer with 1500 grit wet sand paper....after you get a really nice smooth surface, clean the surface really well and spray a tac coat of your base coat then 2-3 wet coats. then spray your clear....same as the primer and base coat...start with tac coat and so on....lay down 4-5 coats and then wet sand and buff.

Quick Reply: Painting Trim Pieces