Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Painting Trim Pieces

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 AM
HCF Member
Default Painting Trim Pieces

this is just a brainstorm nothing solid yet. i want to paint the black pieces on my car to color match my car. basically all the black pieces painted to silver.

here is a picture of my car

anyone know what is painted on an EX model. so far on my list i have,
- front lip
- side skirt
- door moldings
- side mirrors
- door handles

On the maybe list, let me know yes or no?
- fog light bezel
- antenna base
- wind shield washer nozzle
- the black line on the roof

my budget on this project is maybe $100. i hit up 1 shop and they quoted me $600 on the phone but if i remove the pieces to paint its about $300 and if i pay in cash i get 20% discount. now i am deciding to paint them myself.

my plan is to remove all pieces to paint them. what is the process in painting them. i heard that sanding would damages the door moldings so i might just clean them and then you paint promoter (is that what it's called), and them add primer paint, then base paint, and finish up with clear coat. what do you guys think?

also, how do i remove the side skirt, door moldings, door handles? i plan to get the aerosol spray paint from http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spray_paint.asp . how many cans of base paint do you guys think i need? is there a cheaper quality site that sell aerosol spray paint you guys recommend. or should i get the paint from kragen, a local auto parts store to match my color. thanks guys, i need all the help i can get, if all goes well i will start on this project soon.

Last edited by sfazngiants; 03-30-2009 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 11:20 AM
HCF Member

Im not sure if the answer but want this info as well myself so im in on this thread

Old 03-30-2009, 11:49 AM
HCF Member

just out of the blue, what % tint do you have?
it looks good

Old 03-30-2009, 11:58 AM

On the EX, I believe just the door moldings were color matched, maybe the handles. Everything else color matched was reserved for the Si. I'd do everything on your first list. As for the second list...

- fog light bezel YES
- antenna base NO (not necessary, really.)
- wind shield washer nozzle NO (None of them are color matched as far as I know)
- the black line on the roof (rain channels) NO. Not a good idea. The paint wouldn't stick to those well.

DIY FTW!

I got my paint from that site and just rattle canned it myself. It was straightforward and EASY. You should clean the parts VERY WELL, maybe lightly sand with very fine sand paper, use primer or plastic adhesion promoter. I used between 2-3 coats of base, then 1-2 of clear on my parts. My "paint booth" was a cardboard box on my deck, covered with a trash bag to keep dirt off of the painted parts. Paint looked good!

I dunno how to take the side skirts off. Am interested in finding out so I can paint mine to match too. The door moldings have bolts on the inside of the door and are a pain. The service manual may have clues. I broke one of mine once. It wasn't fun to rig it to work again. The handles also have bolts. There are 2 nuts, one on each side, from the inside. Then there's the control rod for the mechanism. It just comes off somehow, no big deal.

I got one can of base and one can of clear, both rattle cans, and I got my mirrors, grille, and fog bezels done. I still have a little left for a side project that's in the works. For all the stuff you want done, I'd get 2 rattle cans of base and 1 of clear. You should do a few coats of base on everything if you want it to look good and be done right.

If your local store can get a perfect color match like OEM for cheaper than that site, I'd go for it. It took them 3 days to process and fill my order, then another 4 to actually get the paint to me. Little slow because I'm impatient.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:17 PM
March 2010 ROTM

I would sand the plastic with 1000 grit and clean it well. It gives the plastic primer something to grip too. Depending on how smooth the primer lays down, consider a wet sand before the color. Id say 2-3 cans would be plenty. I used 2 cans of black on my wheels laying down 2 coats on each wheel.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Ektomee
just out of the blue, what % tint do you have?
it looks good
it is 5% in the back and 35% in the front. when the sun hits off the window the front 35% tint looks like there isn't tint there, but it is only a bit darker than stock windows.

Originally Posted by itinerant
On the EX, I believe just the door moldings were color matched, maybe the handles. Everything else color matched was reserved for the Si. I'd do everything on your first list. As for the second list...

- fog light bezel YES
- antenna base NO (not necessary, really.)
- wind shield washer nozzle NO (None of them are color matched as far as I know)
- the black line on the roof (rain channels) NO. Not a good idea. The paint wouldn't stick to those well.

DIY FTW!

I got my paint from that site and just rattle canned it myself. It was straightforward and EASY. You should clean the parts VERY WELL, maybe lightly sand with very fine sand paper, use primer or plastic adhesion promoter. I used between 2-3 coats of base, then 1-2 of clear on my parts. My "paint booth" was a cardboard box on my deck, covered with a trash bag to keep dirt off of the painted parts. Paint looked good!

I dunno how to take the side skirts off. Am interested in finding out so I can paint mine to match too. The door moldings have bolts on the inside of the door and are a pain. The service manual may have clues. I broke one of mine once. It wasn't fun to rig it to work again. The handles also have bolts. There are 2 nuts, one on each side, from the inside. Then there's the control rod for the mechanism. It just comes off somehow, no big deal.

I got one can of base and one can of clear, both rattle cans, and I got my mirrors, grille, and fog bezels done. I still have a little left for a side project that's in the works. For all the stuff you want done, I'd get 2 rattle cans of base and 1 of clear. You should do a few coats of base on everything if you want it to look good and be done right.

If your local store can get a perfect color match like OEM for cheaper than that site, I'd go for it. It took them 3 days to process and fill my order, then another 4 to actually get the paint to me. Little slow because I'm impatient.
i've actually ordered a can of base paint and a can of clear coat to paint my grill about a year ago. i think i went too heavy on it since i used up a whole can of paint just for the grill. lol. i think i will stick with that site since the paint matches pretty well. can you post pics of your painted parts that you painted with the rattle can and compare to the oem
painted parts? and post pics of the painted the fog light bezel. right now i am thinking about getting 3 cans of base paint and 2 cans of clear coat. too much? too little? also where can i get the plastic adhesion promoter? and what brands am i looking for? do they come in rattle cans? if so, how many cans do i need?

Originally Posted by plethoric33
I would sand the plastic with 1000 grit and clean it well. It gives the plastic primer something to grip too. Depending on how smooth the primer lays down, consider a wet sand before the color. Id say 2-3 cans would be plenty. I used 2 cans of black on my wheels laying down 2 coats on each wheel.
thanks for the advice.

lots of great info guys, keep them coming, still need to know how to remove the pieces. i might actually order the paint this week, when i am set on how many cans of paint i need and how to remove the pieces.

anyone think i can paint the door molding with it still on the car? maybe tape up the rest of the body and leave the molding showing. but i'm afraid the wind would be blowing dirt onto the paint since if i remove the parts i can do them on the deck

Old 03-30-2009, 01:45 PM
March 2010 ROTM

Not sure about the door moldings, but I just took my side skirt off the drivers side when I was in the hit and run. It had 2 screws in the front, a couple clips in the middle, and a screw in the back. I dont know if its like that on others, I have found a few slightly rigged things on my car.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:49 PM
HCF Member

Just so you know when you pull your side moldings off they are gonna be morphed. So i didn't paint mine i got new moldings when i had my car. You could go jdm and get the thinner ones

Old 03-30-2009, 08:16 PM
HCF Member

right now i am worried about removing the side moldings especially the ones on the fender and quarter panel, looks hard to reach and the door handles. right now i am just thinking about painting the door handle and the side moldings on the car, i just need to tape it up really good. there is not much room in my garage, but i might try to get in there to paint or i will find a nice non windy sunny day and paint it outside.

also, for the side skirts where are the screws and clips located? are they visible?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:05 AM
March 2010 ROTM

I had 2 10mm(I think) in the front wheel well, which were visible. The clips im not sure about. Mine was missing one and the other was damaged in the hit and run, so cant help you here. Just try giving them a little tug to feel where they are being held. Then find out how.

Quick Reply: Painting Trim Pieces