Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Nightshade Removal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:23 PM
HCF Member
Default Nightshade Removal?

I had to wet sand off my VHT nightshades yesterday to passs inspections today.....it took 3 hours and i didnt get nearly it all off. I want to re do them tmorrow but i am not willing to spend 3 more hours wetsanding the rest off. Anybody know what will help me with this? paint thinner or something? i kno somebody has a solution lol thanks

Old 07-31-2007, 07:29 PM
Default RE: Nightshade Removal?

Did you try going to another garage to see if they would pass you? thats what im gonna do if I dont passlol, my inspection is due also

Old 07-31-2007, 07:33 PM
HCF Member

well no i didnt test it out, i just sanded it off enough to see all the light a precatiounary measure lol as i look back i prolly woulda passed cuz the guy was niice but if i didnt sand it off there woulda been like a cop there and i woulda failed. Thats my luck lol

Old 07-31-2007, 09:22 PM
HCF Member

You could try laying a rag soaked in thinner on them. Just take them off the car first. I dont know if it will work, but its worth a shot. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2007, 09:24 PM
HCF Member

better yet, go to the junkyard and switch out yours in about 10 minutes without even breaking a sweat.

Old 08-01-2007, 07:37 AM
HCF Member

^^^ already considered that , but the junkyards around here wont let you walk them. The tails that they said they had were gonna cost me 40$, so F that lol I guess ill try the paint thinner, i am skeptical though.....ive heard that paint thinner makes the plastic crack internally like a spider web, i just wont keep it on for long

Old 08-01-2007, 09:49 AM
HCF Member

40 bucks isn't bad. the time and money spent removing, and then retinting and buying all of the tint is worth it in my opinion. plus you'll never have to do it again considering you have a backup.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

**** on them... urine strips everything its better then thinner.... **** FTW

Old 08-01-2007, 02:03 PM
Recognized HCF Member

DO NOT USE ANYTHING BUT SANDPAPER!!!!!

TRUST ME!!!!!!! ive heard of it tried before and the plastic went to hell and completly TRASHED!!!!!!!

just keep wet sanding! if youve been sanding for 3hours.... your not using ruff enough sandpaper or not enough water or changing your pieces of sandpaper!!!!!
took me about 1 hour per side i believe sand sand them down COMPLETLY....

now heres the thing... WHEN RETINTING MAKE SURE YOU HAVE IT ALL SANDED OFF!!!!!! if you miss ANY it will show up when you retint them!!!!!!
TRUST ME!!!!!!!!
helps to rinse the taillight then dry the tail light with a towel... and ya should be able to see any you missed around the sides......

NEXT TIME....... buy some 96-98 taillights..... those yellow/red/clear taillights im sure can be found cheap enough on ebay!!!!!
sanding off the tint and redoing it EVERY YEAR seems alittle exesive....

Old 08-01-2007, 02:37 PM
HCF Member

i'd rather work a couple hours rather than do all that work and prep, and then respray them when you pass inspections, just seems like a waste of time imo, but hey, do what you want.

Quick Reply: Nightshade Removal?