Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

My sexy valve cover + shifter I made!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 07:13 PM
HCF Member

Nice Work!! Everything look really good

Old 11-03-2009, 10:31 AM
Banned
Default My sexy valve cover shifter I made

nuke: yes i did sand it all back down.

I have actually left it off for the past week. I dont think I am going to put it back on. To me, I just feel it gets way to hot in there, especially with the cover on. I think I am going to mod my hood, so I can get more airflow through the engine bay. Any thoughts?

Old 11-03-2009, 12:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by Rawthift73
nuke: yes i did sand it all back down.

I have actually left it off for the past week. I dont think I am going to put it back on. To me, I just feel it gets way to hot in there, especially with the cover on. I think I am going to mod my hood, so I can get more airflow through the engine bay. Any thoughts?
What the hell are you talking about?!

Old 11-03-2009, 01:31 PM

Newb question, but how do you go about taking the valve cover off? Is it just the bolts or do I have to take out the spark plugs as well?

Old 11-03-2009, 11:58 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

just take the plug wires off, breather hose off, throttle cabe off and unbolt it... idk if thats a throttle cable or not, it has something to do with that tho, cause i forgot to put it back onto my vc and when i started my car, my rpm's jacked all the way up lol

Old 11-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Ahhh I see. I'll see if I have time to try it this weekend

Royal blue with white HONDA lettering, here we come!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by supersize
just take the plug wires off, breather hose off, throttle cabe off and unbolt it... idk if thats a throttle cable or not, it has something to do with that tho, cause i forgot to put it back onto my vc and when i started my car, my rpm's jacked all the way up lol
If we are talking about y7's and y8's, the throttle body cable bracket would have to be removed from the y7 VC (one 10mm bolt). Y8's don't have that bracket.

You need to remove the spark plug wires, take off the breather hose (top left corner when standing in front of the car, take off the ground wire (bottom right corner), and then remove the 5 bolts.

Also, when reinstalling everything, check the valve cover gasket for cracks etc, also I would use some Honda-bond around where the dizzy is and where the cam gear is to further prevent leaks. Also, I believe the valve cover bolts should only be torqued to 84 in./lb.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:29 PM
HCF Member

I picked up a valve cover gasket set from Napa for like $20, came with gasket, spark plug seals, and the bolt boots. You are better off just picking up a new gasket if you ask me... you might as wel replace it while you have it off and not be stuck without a car if yours does need to be replaced and you don't have one. The liquid gasket was only a few bucks too. And you're right about the torque 7 ft lbs/84 in lbs

Old 11-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

yeah.. i have the y7 so thats why i had the bracket.. i didnt know y8's dont have that

Old 11-11-2009, 11:12 AM
Banned
Default My sexy valve cover shifter I made

I just got around posting the new steering wheel cover that I put on Saturday... now its nice and meaty to grip :

Quick Reply: My sexy valve cover + shifter I made!