Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

My sexy valve cover + shifter I made!

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2009, 08:13 AM
HCF Member
Default My sexy valve cover + shifter I made!

Well we had no school Thursday/Friday so I decided to use those days to pull off the valve cover... Process went really smooth. The paint I used was Duplicolor Metalcast, was $8 for the can from advance, then the metalcast primer was another $8. I put on about 4 coats of primer since the primer is partly what gives the paint its sparkle, then I think i put on a good 6-8 coats of paint. I also painted the radiator hold, radiator overflow tank, and a/c brackets. While I had all this off I took off my windshield wiper blade arms and sanded those down and painted them black since they were fading/losing paint. Replaced the spark plug rings, the bolt boots, and valve cover gasket so that's all good to go. For those of you who don't know, I bought my car about 2 monthes back from a dealer. So I pulled my dipstick while I was doing this stuff to see my car was 2x as much oil as it should lol. So I'm doin an oil change this week, Royal Purple Synthetic ftw. Lastly is I threw in a pic of the shift **** I made in school. I didn't want to do anything fancy, I love it, it turned out great. Feels awesome too, except it gets a little cold in the Wisconsin mornings. Other than all that I haven't don much to the car this week. I did buy an amp off a friend and ran it to my rear 6x9s I put in so now I'm runnin like 100 watts each so they actually hit pretty good, bass

I know my engine bay isn;t the best looking but I'mnot putting a ton of time in it since I'm swapping next summer. Only other big thing I plan for this is I'm getting Megan header, clean it up a little bit in the front, not so much clutter. Ordered my GReddy Evo2 too

Old 10-31-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Cereal Admin

I'm lovin' the purple paint... somehow it really works with the green paint. And the shift **** reminds me of a Mugen ****. CNC?

Old 10-31-2009, 08:28 AM
HCF Member

Threw it on the lathe

Old 10-31-2009, 09:42 AM
March 2010 ROTM

Looks good, but a nice wetsand would have made a nice difference. I like the purple, I have an anodized purple one sitting in my garage I did a few weeks ago.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:24 AM
HCF Member

Eh, I did a good amount of sanding, not wet sanding though. I did get kinda lazy, like around the spark plug holes but overall I think it turned out fine, not the best but it still looks good.

Old 10-31-2009, 12:09 PM
HCF Member

Nice man how long it take you? I chromed out my valve cover but i like the purple look

Old 10-31-2009, 04:42 PM

Looks good! When you said that your painted your radiator overflow tank, I thought you painted the white container. I like the look of the bracket/holder painted! I'll end up doing mine soon, too.

I'm diggin' the custom-made shift ****. Definitely some good work on that.

Old 10-31-2009, 04:57 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by 1995CivicEXBMF
Nice man how long it take you?
It didn't take too long... lot of sitting time. Got everything off and took me maybe an hour or so of sanding and then like 20 min to swap out spark plug ring things and the bolt boot things. Primered it bout 4 times with 10 minutes in between each coat. Let it sit over night, came back the next morning and did like 7 or 8 coats of color with 10 min in between coats, let that sit for most of the day til I came back from work and sanded the Honda then didn't take long for the gasket and I was done. So the amount of time put in to it isn't long, it just needs to sit. I'm superrrrrr happy with the turn out, it isn't just a normal flat purple, a nice anodized look to it. There were a few other colors like it to, red, blue, and some others.

Last edited by Scott53092; 10-31-2009 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 06:38 PM
Sir Banned-a-lot

looks good, i like the contrast of colors between the purp and green

Old 11-01-2009, 06:48 PM
HCF Member

purp purp FTW!!!
thats the same color of my wheels except u put effort into painting urs lol

Quick Reply: My sexy valve cover + shifter I made!