Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Making an automatic look like stick?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by chrismag
leave the kid alone! hahaha he just wants his car to look cool!

because people who drive stick are cooler
Obvioiusly.

Guess I'll just get a better looking shift **** then. Anyone know any with the button? Or if I can press it down or something?

Last edited by Nemuri; 06-21-2010 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:49 AM

You can slip a shift boot over the existing automatic shifter plate. Take the center console out, put the boot on, and then put the console back on and the boot will be wedged between the edges of the hole where the shifter is and the actual shifter plate and make it look like it is installed normally.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:34 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by paulx022
just get a shift **** that fit on an automatic car tear out the console and pull out the D R 4 3 2 whatever it is the gear column and put on a manual shift boot and it will look manual, or tint your windows so nobody could see
I am going to get my windows tinted. I think I'll just leave the little gear plate alone. Go with what trust said. Is it hard to remove the center console? I also might as well change the ebrake to match the **** while I'm at it.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:40 PM

The e-brake is a bigger pain in the *** than you think. Everything available is universal fitment. You have to use a hacksaw to remove the stock rubber handle from the metal handle underneath, which takes forever to do. (watch out for the e-brake cable, which is on the underside of the metal handle)

I have a Sparco e-brake handle. I like it, but it was tough as sh*t to finally get it on there screw-clamped on tight and fitting well. You have to be patient and really pay attention to what you are doing to get it installed right. The no-name stuff you find on eBay is garbage and looks like crap. I bought one for my old Civic. It was pretty crappy.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:42 PM
HCF Member

@paulx022 Yeah I'm going to tint my windows anyway. Not sure if I'm going to remove that plate yet.

@trust You think I could get a shifter with a button on the top? Currently the button is on the side. Also would it be easy to remove the center console? Take out a few screws and remove the pieces carefully?

I might as well change the ebrake to match the shifter while I'm at it.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:16 PM

Center console is easy to remove... Just remove all screws on the sides of it and look for any possible screws inside the armrest compartment, and then gently try to maneuver it upwards so that it comes off. I believe the armrest portion (not the lid but the entire rear half of the center console) comes off first, then the shifter console. If you don't have an armrest well then just do the same thing, you just obviously don't have any screws inside your non-existent armrest compartment.

There aren't many automatic shift ***** to choose from... reason being that it's an automatic. I don't know what is available, you'll have to look. Your best bet for finding automatic shift ***** is eBay, as you will likely only find them in generic brand names because, no offense, respectable companies don't bother with automatic transmission shift ***** because they are kind of lame and the type of customers these automatic shift ***** generally attract aren't usually the type of people willing to pay for quality.

Old 06-21-2010, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
The e-brake is a bigger pain in the *** than you think. Everything available is universal fitment. You have to use a hacksaw to remove the stock rubber handle from the metal handle underneath, which takes forever to do. (watch out for the e-brake cable, which is on the underside of the metal handle)
I always thought about getting some type of e-brake handle. I think I will pass on it now. LOL

OP, what year civic do you have?

EDIT: Just read you have a 2000 Civic. Look over this DIY on how to remove the back portion of the center console, the front is just four additional screws (two on each side).

https://www.hondacivicforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=81129

Old 06-21-2010, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by cvcrcr99
I always thought about getting some type of e-brake handle. I think I will pass on it now. LOL
It's so worth it if you are installing a nice e-brake handle. But for generic eBay garbage (you know, the silver, red, or blue metal handle with a "carbon fiber" -not really- insert), I would not waste my time messing with it... the stock handle looks better than that.

I really recommend the Sparco handle I have... it's just kind of expensive. And some people may find it awkwardly large in diameter, but I think it looks cool.

Oh, and I had to have a custom e-brake boot made for it because of how big it is... so that's something to keep in mind. There's a guy on eBay with the name topgaiters (I think) or something like that, and he does excellent custom alterations to the boots he normally makes... if you give him the right measurements he will not disappoint (I like to give the length measurements relative... as in "I need the upper neck of the boot to be __" longer than the normal size"... and then just give him the diameter of the handle so he can make it the right size there). Only thing that stinks is he is in England so it takes a while to get it (custom fab time + int'l shipping time)

Old 06-21-2010, 07:30 PM
HCF Member

I have got the whole center console with the boot and a matching armrest (both the same leather) if you are interested. I do have a shift **** too I'll take a pic so you can see what it actually looks like when installed and it is nicer to use than the stock one.

Old 06-24-2010, 06:42 PM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by kanarrjl
I have got the whole center console with the boot and a matching armrest (both the same leather) if you are interested. I do have a shift **** too I'll take a pic so you can see what it actually looks like when installed and it is nicer to use than the stock one.
I'd love to see the picture.

Not sure if I'm gonna do the ebrake anymore then, seems like a lot of hassle.

Quick Reply: Making an automatic look like stick?