Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Interior Paint Progress

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2007, 12:06 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: Interior Paint Progress

looks great, although not my colors...well, not in a car...i like my interior stock...i want better seats though. is that a smooth finish? like i hate how my dash is kinda "grainey" i kinda wanted to put a thin layer of fiberglass on it just to make it smooth, but if paint will have the same effect, id rather do that.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:52 PM

eh, it's a bit extreme for my tastes, and it looks really bad against the stock carpet/seats... just my humble opinion.

Also, is it just me or is there some pretty good orange peel on the door panels?

Old 02-28-2007, 03:06 PM
HCF Member

Looks real good,Like everyone else I am not to much for the sceme but hey it's your car.When I start on my interior I am just going to redo the gray cause it has faded some and new carpet with some racing seats maybe a liitle accent of the color of the outside of car.What company plastic spray paint are you using btw.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:44 PM

looks good .....as far as the other comments no don't use armorall just use final inspection or what u use on the paint in between washs at a show........to put a thin layer of fiberglass is alot of work because fiberglass doesn't lay flat so u need a thicker layer so u can sand it smooth very very long process.........

Old 02-28-2007, 06:53 PM
HCF Member

is that a tape cassette that plugs into a cd player?

Old 02-28-2007, 08:32 PM
HCF Member

To answer Stumasters's question, for the plastic parts I used Duplicolor paint. (Black Primer, High Gloss, and Clear). For the vinyl stuff like the doors and the upper dash I just used Duplicolor Vinyl/Fabric (works for both) Spray. There doesn't seem to be any orange peel. After doing this for 2 months I figured out to lay down nice moderately thick even strokes of paint, thick enough to look nice, but thin enough to prevent running. All I can say as a tip Stumasters is make sure you wash and dry everything. Sand it down really well, and makes sure you use nice even strokes with a small overlap. If your not patient its gonna turn out like crap. Also, I would recomend only painting when it is warm because the paint can have weird effects and takes a lot longer to dry when its cold. In answer to the interior comments, I am going to try to dye my carpet black, and I am probably getting some racing seats along with a back seatcover. And yes that is a tape adapter you see for my ipod.

A question about the carpet. What would be the best way to go about dying it? I was thinking like using some black rit dye in a small kiddy pool. I saw someone on the forum who painted there interior black and dyed the carpet also.

Old 03-01-2007, 12:05 AM
HCF Member

lol I used to have green and black color scheme but now I have my interior out and painting it all black I decided to paint my green parts black again too. I have my seats re-apolstered to black vinyl and black carpet/headliner. ALL black FTMFW!

Old 03-01-2007, 12:25 AM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: ltkenbo

To answer Stumasters's question, for the plastic parts I used Duplicolor paint. (Black Primer, High Gloss, and Clear). For the vinyl stuff like the doors and the upper dash I just used Duplicolor Vinyl/Fabric (works for both) Spray. There doesn't seem to be any orange peel. After doing this for 2 months I figured out to lay down nice moderately thick even strokes of paint, thick enough to look nice, but thin enough to prevent running. All I can say as a tip Stumasters is make sure you wash and dry everything. Sand it down really well, and makes sure you use nice even strokes with a small overlap. If your not patient its gonna turn out like crap. Also, I would recomend only painting when it is warm because the paint can have weird effects and takes a lot longer to dry when its cold. In answer to the interior comments, I am going to try to dye my carpet black, and I am probably getting some racing seats along with a back seatcover. And yes that is a tape adapter you see for my ipod.

A question about the carpet. What would be the best way to go about dying it? I was thinking like using some black rit dye in a small kiddy pool. I saw someone on the forum who painted there interior black and dyed the carpet also.
It'd be easier to jsut replace it with some pool deck carpeting from home depot or lowes. Just use spray adhesive to glue it down. Should cost no more than $50 and will look nicer and last longer.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:32 AM
HCF Member

I had a similar question about dyeing.. I will probably spring for some racing seats myself, but some of the ones that still retain the rear fold down option, but what the heck do you do with the rear seat, lol.

I wonder if they sell upgraded rear seats, in any fabric or color scheme you want, without alot of fuss.

Either way, I want them black, so I will keep an eye on this thread to see what you come up with :-) Thanks for the info.

Old 03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Recognized HCF Member

not realy my style with the green..... but looks like a good job.

i painted my old jimmys dash pieecs and the only downfall now is the paints been chiped by my moms dam dogs nails scratching it off

Quick Reply: Interior Paint Progress