Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

How to patch up front bumper crack

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 12:04 PM
Default How to patch up front bumper crack

My next project is fixing the crack in my front bumper. the crack goes from the front all the way to the back. It's not something I can fill in, somehow I have to like just put the two sides back together or something. There is a pic in my profile. Any recommendations?

Old 04-03-2006, 04:32 PM
HCF Member
Default RE: How to patch up front bumper crack

im guessing its a fiberglass front bumper?..you can do some fiberglass work to it, put a couple layers on the front and a bunch of layers on the back to strengthin it sand it down, body fill a little and sand it down to make it smooth...another thing you can try is, im not sure exactly what its called, but its nick name is plastic weld but its actually a 2 part appocsy, if you go to a automotive body shop that sells body stuff they should have a ruff idea of what your talking about, they will probably offer you a couple things, what you want to buy is a 2 part plastic repare kit, it comes in a tube and a attachment that goes in a calking gun because thats what you use to get it out..that stuff is really strong but fiberglass might be your better choice for this one..you can try eather..that platic weld stuff only cost me like $18 (canada) and i got a couple extra tips for it...but then you can buy a little fiberglass repare kit for pretty cheap too

Old 04-03-2006, 04:58 PM

yeah I got the fiberglass repair stuff and just used it to fill a dent in rear bumper. but this is a crack, not something you fill in. i'm thinking that once i sand down the bondo-hair the crack will still be there. all i did was put something on top of it then sand it off. i think i will look into the plastic repair stuff you were talking about, then go with my fiberglass repair if i can't find anything else. thanks.

Old 04-03-2006, 06:11 PM

you can buy fiberglass matting and resin and just layer it on in the back to add strength, then fill the crack with your bodyfiller of choice, sand down, prime, paint, and enjoy. me and a friend did that to his r6 after he bought it because the other owner dropped it a few times.

Old 04-03-2006, 08:31 PM

i would fiberglass the front to . not fill it with body filler, the guy before me filled it a hole with body filler with a couple of layers and it ended up cracking. i would glass the front and then more on the back for strength and then u will have to sand to make it flow so it doesn't stick up or anything..