Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Getting marks of bumper

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 08:05 AM
Default Getting marks of bumper

My son has a 2002 Honda Civic. While exiting a very narrow driveway, he scraped his side front bumper against a telephone pole at the end of the driveway. The bumper is not dented, but it has the brown tar from the pole on it. I am guessing there must be some scratches beneath the tar. What do you recommend he use to remove the marks from the bumper?The bumper is the same color as the car. Thank you.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:11 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Getting marks of bumper

try some bug & tar remover.

and use it gently, because if you rub too hard it will take the paint right off.

if you're nervous about doing it then take it to a body shop and pay them to do it. paint is delicate.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:14 AM
HCF Member

I've never had it take paint off before (RainEx makes really good stuff for Bug and Tar, I prefer it over Turtle Wax and a few others I've tried), but either way polish will do the job too.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:48 AM

no need to make 2 of the same posts..

ORIGINAL:civicexracer

i'd wash the area very well, use a clay kit such as meguiars over the scratches, do a couple polishing coats with a buffer, thenput acouple coats of wax and try to buff out as much of the scratch that is left. washing the area very well will pick off w/e dirt that may be on the tar. the clay bar will take off w/e tar is on the paint, remember to use plenty of lubricant. polishing/waxing with alot of buffing will take care of the scratches, may not take them completely off but it will cover the scratches very well.

Old 02-25-2007, 04:28 PM
HCF Member

Bug and tar remover for the tar and turtle wax rubbing compound for the scratches Is what i would do.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:14 PM

i would recommend a clay bar and some spray that u use with the clay bar. remember to wax the spot after using clay bar....clay bars are great it will take everything off the paint even dirt and grim in the paint that u can't see and will not hurt the paint..

Old 02-25-2007, 07:19 PM
HCF Member

I was going to reccomend a clay bar also. You can pick up a kit for $10-$15 at autozone or somewhere similar. Then just wax and polish it and youre good to go.

Old 02-26-2007, 01:40 PM
Default RE: Getting marks of bumper - new problem

Thanks to everyone who replied. The polish worked quite well. Unfortunately, we discovered that some paint has chipped off the bumper. We are planning on taking the car to an autobody shop - is it OK to have them touch up the paint on the bumper or is a new bumper cover the way to go?My son is a teen and spent quite a bit of money on his new car. We all feel awful about what has happened. We want to preserve the great look of the car, but don't want to pay a huge sum on the repair if we can get good result without doing so.

Old 02-26-2007, 05:40 PM

if its just a small chip, u could go to ur local autostore and find some touchup paint. just look for the right paint color code. may not look as good as a professional paint touch up, but it'll save u a lot of money..

Old 02-26-2007, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

Soft Scrub works wonders as well.

Quick Reply: Getting marks of bumper