Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

eBay HID kit - stay away...

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2009, 07:22 PM
Default eBay HID kit - stay away...

purchased something similar to these on ebay the other day from seller "dealtime321." i'm about to return them. most, if not all, of these kits are basically junk.

i installed both lights, and one went out after a few minutes of driving. the cutoff point is non-existent (where the light stops at a certain vertical point so as not to blind other drivers), and they had the worst installation manual i've ever seen. additionally, there was no high-beam output. yes, if you turn the highs on, your headlights would turn off. all headlights on our cars (at least in my gen; 2001-2005) have 3 prongs - 1 for ground, 1 for low beam, and 1 for high beam. this kit only had 2 prongs. i don't even believe that you could hack them, because the xenon bulbs that come with the kit don't have a high beam built in.

there are kits out there that provide both beams, but they suck also. retrofitting is the way to go.

just wanted to do something for society and tell everybody to stay away. no bashing needed such as "duh" - i already know, and i'm returning the bulbs for a full refund... at least they offer that.

cheers

Old 01-26-2009, 08:59 PM
February 2010 ROTM

i got my HID kit off ebay but you get what you pay for and if you do your research before hand you will know which sets are junk and which are good. I have had my set for 4 yrs now and run them everyday. You wont get any sort of cutoff with stock housings as they arent meant for it. Also, it states whether or not the kit includes high beams so you should have read first. You just use the regular car harness with the 2 prongs it came with it will work fine and the headlights wont turn off unless you switch to high beams which you dont have so of course they will turn off haha. I dont have high beams as there is no use for them with properly aimed lights in the proper projectors as I have done the retrofit. Works great and get the proper cutoff and no glare. Just know what your getting ahead of time

Old 01-26-2009, 09:38 PM

yea ebay HIDs suck if you cheap out and buy the cheap ones.

BTW if something on ebay says "JDM" and it's not real JDM OEM Honda then it's probably trash.

I hear ya on the retrofit or projectors, but they don't make projectors for del Sols and I hate projectors anyway... and i'm not spending the money to do a retrofit. Honestly a little glare in another drivers face doesn't bother me one bit... I get hit with their glare all the time just because they feel the need to drive a car that sits 6 feet up in the air, so I figure any glare I give off they can just STFU and deal with it. If you aim the headlights properly no one's going to care though, even with HIDs in regular housings. I haven't been flashed with high beams once since I installed my HIDs about 3 weeks ago.

I have driven past a large number of cops in those past 3 weeks and none of them seem to care. They're a little more interested in the black taillights anyway. Then again, I might be able to pass off my car as one that came with HIDs to someone who wouldn't know any better because those people also don't realize my car is just a Civic.

Last edited by trustdestruction; 01-26-2009 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-26-2009, 09:43 PM
HCF Member

you guys act like all kits come from ebay which is all pieces of shyt cause they come from china and thats it you have to find the right kit...if you find one thats good thats why there good. thats the reason why i sell the ones i do because there made here in the US and there high qualilty stuff, no glare, 3 year warrenty on full kit that kind of stuff cant go wrong with it

Old 01-26-2009, 09:54 PM
HCF Member

i got mine on ebay for $51 and they work fine. two prongs but my low beam is so bright i dont need to have the high beam.i have no complaints wit em