Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

DIY removing hvac assembly 96-98 civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:16 PM
Default DIY removing hvac assembly 96-98 civic

Okay first this is a crappy DIY, I'm not good at guides. Second I've got 22pics so to keep things simple I'm gonna just post the link to my photobook page that's got all the pics, they're numbered so just go from 1 to 22 - CLICK ME.
And thirdly my car when I got it was missing alot of screws here and there so if I missed a few screws please understand that I didn't have them to stubble on....

First start by locating the hvac tempature control wire as see in pic One by looking under the panels from the passenger side.
As showin in pic, slide the cable out of the cable holder and slide it down of the metal post as seen in pic. Two.
Next you will need to open the glove box and expose the two screws shown in pic Three.
Then goto the driver side and remove the screw in the lower panel by the center console shown in pic Four.
Once the screw is removed pull the panel down and out as shown in pic Five.
Again like on the passenger side you then remove the two screws as shown in pic Six.
Once those screws are removed you than have to remove the two screws holding the lower center panel in as shown in pic Seven.
After the two screws are removed you then have to pull the panel down and out (it's a bit tricky but will come loose) as shown in pic Eight.
Now on my car I'm not sure if the cig/accessory plug is the same but on mine you disconnect the plug as shown in Nine (you're might varry but it should unclip).
Then you have to look up into the opening and look for two screws to remove as pointed towards in pic Ten, also there might be a scew further in going thru the white plastic of the hvac assembly, if you have the screw you'll need to remove it.
To gain access to the hidden screws in the upper part of the bezel you will need to pop out the hazard and rear defrost buttons as shown in pic Eleven, simply slide them out and unclip the buttons.
You will then need to look into the openings to see the screws in either side as shown in pic Twelve.
Once those are removed you then will need to grasp the bezel on either side as shown in pic Thirteen and slide the bezel out as shown in pic Fourteen.
You then have to unhook the Stereo (if you have yours in the factory location) and the brown and green plugs from the hvac, they are squeeze clips with the clip on the bottom of the unit, pic Fifteen and Sixteen show the squeeze clips.
Then you will need to remove the four screws that hold the hvac into the bezel as shown in pic Seventeen and remove the hvac from the bezel.
On the bottom of the hvac unit you will see 5 screws as seen in pic Eightteen, you will need to remove these as well as pop the slider buttons off as seen in pic Nineteen. Once those are popped off you will want to pull the black trim up a little bit from where it is screwed and then away from the unit to unhook it, it will then need the clips on the top as shown in pic Twenty to be popped and it should slide all the way off.
Then pop the white clips loose and slide the white body away from the grey revealing the electronics of the hvac unit. Flip the unit upsidedown and you will see the power wires and the bulb holders for the OE lights, you will need to remove these bulbs if you are installing led strips. For wire routing you will need to solder or splice into the oe wires and route them as shown in pic Twentyone so the wires will clear the white body when replaced. In pic Twentytwo it shows the PC board from the top where the OE lights are soldered the board and I've marked which is positive and which is negative.

I hope this helps anybody who's wanting to swap either the OE bulbs for colored ones or in my case swapping them for LED strips. If you've got any questions send me a PM.

If this is in the wrong section or needs to be moved to the DIY section, mods please do so. Thanks

Old 06-13-2007, 06:35 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: DIY removing hvac assembly 96-98 civic

You need to change your photobucket to a public account.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:03 PM

ORIGINAL: ryank327

You need to change your photobucket to a public account.
[&:] my bad, fixed.

Old 06-14-2007, 10:07 PM
HCF Member

wut does this do now?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:52 PM

This is for people with 96-98 civic's that want to swap the bulbs or install leds into their hvac assemblies....

Old 06-15-2007, 02:01 PM
HCF Member

i could have posted one of these when i was replacing my dash when my car was broken into.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 AM

ORIGINAL: ej6buddy

i could have posted one of these when i was replacing my dash when my car was broken into.

I only posted this because there was a demand for it.....