Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

In dash/mounted Tach suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2007, 12:47 PM
Default In dash/mounted Tach suggestions

I just bought a 98 Civic DX which unfortunately doesn't have a tach. I've been looking at some options for a mount and I just came across the the in dash ones. Then I saw the speedo/tach combos. Lol someone have any suggestions, should I go with an indash or mounted? Combo or not? What brand do you like best. My interior is black and exterior is red to give you an idea of colours.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Default RE: In dash/mounted Tach suggestions

i have a 90 dx hatch which didnt come with a tach, instead of gettin an SI cluster i just bought a tach and mounted on my dash. just depends on if you want it mounted or built in. i have the 5" Autometer monster tach. its just on your preferences
[align=left] [/align]

Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
HCF Member

you can get any 96-00 EX/SI cluster and swap it in there, totally plug and play with oyur harnesses right now, and they both have tachs. Or you can get something like THIS, or get a pillar pod with a tach in there. I actaully just installed a tach on my friends 96 DX it just had its own little pod, i just mounted it on the dash, above the cluster, to the left side, looks great IMO.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:41 PM

Well, I hate big tachs and I'd rather not install a mounted one. If I swap out the gauge cluster what about the odometer? (I'm a complete noob, as you can see). What level of dificulty is it? Pillar pods are really not my favourite, I find them obnoxious. And if you could explain to me, if I buy that thing from Ebay, do I still have to buy a cluster kit to fit in to it? Where's a good site to buy new gauge clusters? Thanks for all the help guys, I love these forums.

Old 12-04-2007, 05:37 PM
HCF Member

I think the easiest thing to do would to get a EX/SI cluster. You can possibly find someone your buying from that can fix it so it has the same miles or find one with close to your miles.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:04 PM
HCF Member

ORIGINAL: yo****hemonk

Well, I hate big tachs and I'd rather not install a mounted one. If I swap out the gauge cluster what about the odometer? (I'm a complete noob, as you can see). What level of dificulty is it? Pillar pods are really not my favourite, I find them obnoxious. And if you could explain to me, if I buy that thing from Ebay, do I still have to buy a cluster kit to fit in to it? Where's a good site to buy new gauge clusters? Thanks for all the help guys, I love these forums.
For used cluster just go to the scrap yard, or check local forums and put a WTB (want to buy) add, I had a big tach, got rid of it last year and got a cluster from a si with a tach in it,you just need to take the back of the cluster apart and you canput your odometerin the newcluster so the miles will be the exact same. And its really really easy to do, lots of right ups on the net.

Old 12-04-2007, 06:24 PM
HCF Member

^ beat me to it. Just DONT TOUCH THE NEEDLES, if they come off, they wont work again, ever, period. It sucks, but oh well. But its just like two silver screws on the back of the cluster and you can pull the whole speedo/odometer section out of the cluster

Old 12-04-2007, 07:24 PM

Mkay, so a junkyard is my best bet? Seeing as how it's snowing here and junkyards are a rarity where I live, I'd prefer to get a new one or used online. Any sites? And I have an amazing ability to screw up everything I work on unless I have instructions in front of me, so does anyone know of any good sites with walkthroughs?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:39 PM
HCF Member

ebay or any Civic webstie has clusters goign all the time. Hit them up. Clubcivic.com Honda-Tech.com, or here on HCF

Old 12-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Yea I swapped the speedo/odometer assembly from my DX cluster to the EX cluster I put in to retain the milage... beyond that it's plug n play.

Quick Reply: In dash/mounted Tach suggestions