Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Cool Cheap Headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 05:59 AM
Question

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
pretty much any headlights you find on eBay will work just fine, you just need to seal them up with silicone.
I just got CCFL Eagle eyes off ebay.......what are you guys talking about sealing them up? Do you mean with that kitchen bathroom silicon stuff. Is it for all headlights you guys recommend it for?

Old 12-01-2008, 06:10 AM
HCF Member

All aftermarket housings yes. But not bathroom kitchen stuff. Go to autozone and get a tube of black silicon. RTV sealant. Nothing special. $3.50 or so. Make sure to get it all the way in and around where the housing halves come together, where the factory has already tried (and failed) to seal it.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:24 AM
HCF Member

ok so i thought my ebay headlights were already sealed?? Do you have to seal every pair of headlights bought even if they seem sealed?? Cuz thats what its sounding like, and I definitely havent hahaha.

Old 12-01-2008, 08:33 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by trustdestruction
You realize if you do that you will be paying 2 times the money for the same exact product, right?

mmmmmmmmmm i definitley beg to differ. You are going to get a much higher quality headlight from legit website, especially if you pay for it.

But eBay projectors with HIDs are awesome. But with that, you'll still have to worry about the eBay headlights not linig up with your fender/bumper, but light output will be awesome.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 AM
HCF Member

Originally Posted by bretzky.6
ok so i thought my ebay headlights were already sealed?? Do you have to seal every pair of headlights bought even if they seem sealed?? Cuz thats what its sounding like, and I definitely havent hahaha.
lol You don't have to seal 'em. They do seal them when they make them but 9 times out of 10 they don't get it water tight and that will let moisture build-up in your housings. making them look stupid and its a pain to dry them out if they get good and wet inside. so it's just good insurance to seal them before you install them.

Old 12-01-2008, 09:50 AM
HCF Member

lol, i might have to look into that then.. Im just gettin my car out of the shop, hopefully for good, after an accident from august. horrible car shop...
And we get lots of snow here, but they're fine right now. I'll have to silicone them bad boys up then. Taking the bumper off again . Good time to throw my new grill on though.
Thanks for the info. They seemed sealed good, but I've already had a couple small problems with the headlights already, so I'll seal em up here.
Thankya

Old 12-01-2008, 10:06 AM
HCF Member

Yea I've bought multiple brands of aftermarket headlights for different body style civics I've had hoping to get at least one that was sealed good. and I have ended up having to take my bumper off and reseal them and try and dry out the housings as best I could with a heat gun. Total pain but lesson learned. I now pass my knowledge on to others. lol :-)

Old 12-01-2008, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by FlipHKD720
mmmmmmmmmm i definitley beg to differ. You are going to get a much higher quality headlight from legit website, especially if you pay for it.
Yeah, I used to think the same thing. With headlights, this isn't the case.
My old Civic came with eBay projectors, made by some brand called "Spring" I think? Well anyway, they had crappy light output, IDK why (I put silverstars in them and adjusted them but it didn't do enough), so I bought new projectors.

I decided I was gonna spend the $200 and get the so-called "quality" Anzo projectors from Pro-Civic.com. Well, I got them and installed them, and no matter how much I adjusted the beam pattern, they would never line up properly. So, I got them to where they shined fine and left them alone. Well then, about once a week, I would have to realign my headlights because vibrations from driving caused them to be out of adjustment. Then, one day, I went to readjust them as usual, and the right headlight completely stopped adjusting. I became fed up, and ordered a pair of OEM headlights.

I later found out that on eBay a lot of those headlights for sale are Anzo headlights. If you go on ProCivic.com and look at the Anzo headlights, and then look at some of the headlights on eBay, some of them are exactly the same. Usually there are small discreet differences in style between the different brands, but when comparing some of those headlights on eBay to the Anzo ones on ProCivic.com, there was no difference.

I now have a pair of black housing headlights and a pair black housing foglights from eBay on my del Sol, made by Spring (I didn't care because these aren't projectors) and they are great. I sealed them up with silicone RTV and they're perfect.