Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Car scratched

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 07:00 AM
Default Car scratched

Ok, I have a situation. I own a magnesium metallic '06 Civic. I let my husband take it on a business trip this week and he called me to tell me that he sideswiped a car in a residential neigborhood. He won't tell me the extent of the damage until he returns on Saturday and I'm really worried. I've taken huge precautions with my car since I bought it. Like any car, it has some little dings here and there but it's overall holding up nicely. I'm so afraid of any bad damage done to my car! Cause as much as it stinks, the car will never be the same. Even if the body shop works on it, it won't be the same at all. I'm really worried. My husband didn't tell me if it was bad damage or not, but typically, what should I be expecting to see? Generally speaking, what parts of a car would be affected by a sideswipe? My car is gray, so what color would the scrapes or marks be? I'm freaking out, and I am just looking to see what kind of damage would be typical in a low-speed sideswipe. He didn't tell me if he heard it happen or not.. I just don't know. PLEASE HELP! This car has given me a lot of emotional distress and often times I feel like I really made a mistake buying a new car. Seems like the more you care about it, the more likely it is to be damaged. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:14 AM
HCF Member
Default RE: Car scratched

Ouch.....well could be a scuff on the corners (will appear to be white looking marks) or could be bad. Sounds like he's still driving it, so most the parts should be attached. Sure he's not teasing you? Either way he is obviously taking his life into his own hands if he returns home. You better file for divorce now and just be done with it. J/K
Creases and deflections in the door skins can be made to disappear. Paint can be matched up. Door alignment when stuff gets twisted can be a bit harder, but only you will really notice. I wouldn't worry so much about the car......and be sure to ask if he's ok.

Old 07-20-2006, 11:12 AM
HCF Member

i with you..when i first got my car i would freek out at any little thing, now im more laid back about it because its going to happen unless you want to park it and never drive it...but anyways, no one can really tell you unless you see the car and see how much damage is on it, it could be a lite scratch or it could be metal deep, or dents...its hard to say

Old 07-20-2006, 11:30 AM

So most all blemishes show up on magnesium metallic paint? I heard that the color is more blending than the darker colors, but I don't want it to be in a tricky type way, you know? If it did do damage, I want to be able to notice it in any lighting that there happens to be.. sun, shade, etc. The thought of having a scratch or mark on your car that only shows up in certain lightings is really scary to me. Yes, the car is intact and the damage didn't seem to affect anything mechanically but that's all my soon-to-be-ex-husband (just kidding, of course) has told me. I will never recommend buying a new car to anybody. It's a lot of stress. I can't stand the thought of the damage on it being the fault of somebody I care about the most. Perfect strangers seem to be more careful sometimes.. LOL.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:52 PM
HCF Member

I don't think it has to be a new car thing....All my cars shined like they rolled off the show room floor. I would hate to have anyone of them get a scuff, but it will happen. Just a matter of time.
89 Aries K 82,000 on the clock....Some chick cut across traffic cause she was late. = T boned her
00 VW Jetta 200 on the clock. Some other chick backed her SUV into my PARKED car.She tried to bail, but I nabbed her.
00 VW Jetta 78000. Some one rear ended my girl while she was stopped for a light. Whatever the front was done, no the rear gets it.
03 Dodge PU 28000 again my wife gets rear ended while waiting in traffic. I mean its not like its the biggest truck on the road, but hey...

Yes paint can be matched up, and if your lucky some existing scratches can be taken care of.....but you'll still love your car right?

Old 08-01-2006, 10:33 AM

I'm sorry that you were hit that many times, dogmeat. So many people on the road have it together, and then there are those people that don't. Rear ending somebody is relatively hard to accomplish even if you do look away for one second, so i'm sorry it has happened to you on more than one occasion. Did you and/or your wife know right away that you were hit or did you notice it later? I'm sure you still loved all of those cars, and I do too. People just make it so hard! Got the car back and the damage is definitely not an emergency but it's not pretty. It's been sitting all alone in the driveway for now

Old 08-01-2006, 04:28 PM
kg3

i still love my car, lets see
my mother caused these:
rearended somebody
got rearended twice and then the kicker
18 wheeler took a turn to tight and ripped off my cars face...
and then just this past weekend it ended up in a ditch *not my fualt really* as i would have rear ended the ******* in front of me so i choes the ditch few scratches

but i still love it its a good car, but boy has it been abused.