Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

California tint laws :( Worst Day ever

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:47 AM
Default California tint laws :( Worst Day ever

The worst thing happened to me Monday and Tuesday 2/11/08 and 2/12/08I was pulled over in my new 2008 Honda Civicwhich I just had the windows tinted 3 days prior, anyhow I was pulled over because if you live in Orange County California and you use the Toll Roads(Fast Pass Transponder) it must be visible on your front window at all times when going through the Toll receivers this law sucks pretty much because in my case my new car did not have velcro on the window to put my transponder on the windshield so it was just sitting in my dash tray.

So on Monday I was pulled over the cop gave me a ticket for not having the toll transponder on my window no insurance because it was a new car(but dealership gives you 30 days to transfer your insurance so I will fight this) and he asked about my tint but didnt give me a ticket, then this morning on my way to work I decided to take the toll cause if not I would be late to work, as soon as I got past the first booth Boom! pulled over just like that and got another toll transponder ticket window thing and no insurance and a window tint violation.

As for window tint in California the cop says it is not tolerated and I was under the impression that California allow both passenger and driver to allow 70% sunlight and thats what I have. He alsosaid my back windows were illegal too but also I was told that in California you can have both back windows and your rear window tinted whatever you want.

Someone in California have any feedback when it comes to windows being tinted because cop said no windows in California are allowed to be tinted unless you have a doctors note for UV protection against sunlight.

Maybe my tint looks dark because my car is black??

Any feedback would help Thanks!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:05 PM
Default RE: California tint laws :( Worst Day ever

That really sucks man!

Makes me wonder what kind of tint laws we have here in VA, anyone know?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:22 PM

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
here are the % for every state

va is 50% up front and 35% back and rear windows

Old 02-12-2008, 12:28 PM
HCF Member

Wow in Indiana we only have to let 30% light in. We might as well just have Black paper over our windows. XD And we can have as much as we want on the front windshield as long as it is above the AS-1 line.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:32 PM

ORIGINAL: deezem2

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/
here are the % for every state

va is 50% up front and 35% back and rear windows
Thanks man!

Old 02-12-2008, 12:33 PM
HCF Member

35% here, I have 5% lol. I have been warned a few times but the cops never have a meter with them to test it so I always get away without a ticket.

Old 02-12-2008, 12:46 PM
Recognized HCF Member

ya its your black car making it look darker
i have 30% on my front side windows and rear glass but i have 5% on the sunroof and side rear windows. and my car almost looks blacked out i love it! cause it looks dark as hell but i can still see thru it just fine.
if they have a problem with it and your sure its legal then tell them to get out their light tester and measure exactly what it is!

tho why not get some tape and take the transponder to the windshield? LOL hell duct tape would be a temp or clear shipping tape how ever those dam things work....

Old 02-12-2008, 01:14 PM
HCF Member

I got a 93 civic... but my other car is a 1973 Pontiac GTO that i painted black an it has 5 percent tint on all but the front and i havent been pulled over... but thats WI for ya.
Pk

Old 02-12-2008, 01:19 PM
HCF Member

yeah...well ive always hurd that california is 70 up front and no limit on the back as long as you got 2 side mirrors which most cars do (not mine)...so i would appeal that cause im almost postive thats the law...and if it turns out that you actually have 60% tint or what not i would take it back to the shop and make them pay for the ticket..

but yeah...

http://www.tintcenter.com/laws/CA/

Old 02-12-2008, 03:45 PM

Ok so I went to the police station right after work to see what the law really is in California. As of 1999 you can not have any window tint on the passenger and driver side windows, however your back windows and you rear can be tinted whatever you want.

So I went into the place I got the tint from and he said he would remove the tint off my driver and passenger no charge so I just did it so I can write off the Fix it ticket. Also he said if I decide to redo the driver and passenger side windows he will do them no charge as well. Not a bad deal but I'm kinda skeptical on doing it again cause cops where I live have nothing better to do.

Appreciate all the feedback guys.

Quick Reply: California tint laws :( Worst Day ever