Inside and Out Talk about your interior and exterior mods here.

Buffing

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 06:20 PM
HCF Member
Default Buffing

Alright... I have a few scratches in my car...

I saw a buffer at G.I. Joes that is about 8 inches across. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me how to use it and how hard it is. I would really like to be able to do some small bits of body work myself rather than take it to the shop every time I brush against a bush (yeah... confusing).

Thanks for your help,

-kelleykid

Old 08-16-2007, 08:27 PM
Default RE: Buffing

Are these just fine scratches? Scratches that are not deep and do not catch ur nail when u run ur finger past them? If so, I bought Meguiars Scratch X at Walmart and I used it on a small one last week and it deffinately worked. As long as u put some elbow grease into it, it will work just fine.

but if u wanna get really serious into detailing ur car and stuff then go for the buffer, never used one myself though.

Old 08-17-2007, 07:30 AM
HCF Member

Ya how deep are these scratches? If you run your finger nail across it and it gets stuck in it, then its too deep to be buffed out. And im not sure what product your using, but from what I read in various articals, unless you know what your doing with a buffer, dont use it, because you could end up burning your paint.

A quick search on google and here you go. A good thing to read about buffers..

http://www.automotivedetailing.com/a...ed_buffers.htm

Old 08-17-2007, 09:41 AM
HCF Member

Thanks guys... That should be enough information. I just wanted to know a bit more about it before I bought it (which I probably won't now... I will go for that scratch thing he was talking about).

-kelleykid

Old 08-17-2007, 09:44 AM
HCF Member

A rubbing compound works miracles sometimes, lol.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:36 AM

yea go for it, it has worked wonders. i just did alot of research on how to apply it and work it in and it has deffinately been worth the time and money.

Old 08-18-2007, 12:53 PM
HCF Member

Okay... I got the scratch x thing and used it. So far, it doesn't look like it worked too well, but I could just be using it wrong... any suggestions?

-kelleykid

Old 08-18-2007, 02:14 PM

u have to work it AGAINST the grain and use alot of elbow grease. if ur arm starts hurting u know ur doing it correctly. u will also need to apply it about 3 - 5 times and in small areas. work it in until the product has faded away dont just apply and wipe off. i did that the first time and i thought it didnt work either. after reading up on more on it i followed the instructions and it has deffinately worked.

check out the site and go to the forums read the responses and How To

http://www.meguiars.com/

u can also google it and find other sites that will really help u out further.